Drunk Driving Re-Evaluated | Teen Ink

Drunk Driving Re-Evaluated

By Renaegarcia77 BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Renaegarcia77 BRONZE, Elizabethtown, Kentucky

It’s 7:00 in the morning. You are awaken to a firm knock on your front door. You’re instantly startled and inquisitive when you see the police officer waiting patiently at your front door. “Good morning officer, is everything alright?” You anxiously ask. “I’m afraid not. Last night your son was involved in an atrocious automobile accident with a drunk driver. I’m so sorry to be the one to have to tell you this, but your son did not survive the crash.” This may or may not relate to you or has ever happened to you personally. However, many people all over the world have been in this unfortunate situation. This is one of the many reasons why we must enforce stronger drunk driving precautions and punishments here in Elizabethtown, Kentucky.

Our community will become better and safer if stronger drunk driving punishments are enforced against those who choose to drive while intoxicated. Drunk driving offenders must be given a lengthy sentence so they can have enough time to think long and hard about their actions. Once drunk driving punishments are enhanced citizens will become fully aware of the repercussions of driving drunk.  This way criminals receive the punishments they rightfully deserve, and the people of  Elizabethtown realize how severe just one mistake can be in the long run. It was a cold December night in 2009. James from Celburne, Texas, had been drinking whiskey and soda before he departed to meet with his friends at the local bar. He continued drinking at the bar. James and his friends left the bar around midnight and planned to meet up at his apartment to play poker that evening. However, James did not make it to the apartment. He was coming around a corner too fast when his car started to slide dangerously out of control. Since then, James has never walked the same. One bad decision resulted in life-changing damage.

We must also enforce stronger precautions for drunk driving here in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. Doing so will help prevent future drivers from becoming dangerous drunk drivers by educating these drivers.  Therefore, we can help educate and alert individuals so that they can realize what they may not have realized before-the dangers and damages caused by people who drive intoxicated. One way we can achieve this is through requiring every sixteen year old resident of Elizabethtown, Kentucky, to be required to attend a class every ten years until they are fifty-six years of age. This class will refresh Kentuckians on the rules of the road, driving safety, and help them improve their driving skills altogether. This will be beneficial for our city, community, and the drivers. Lives will be tremendously transformed forever.

Some may believe Elizabethtown is fine the way it is when it comes to dealing with drunk driving. They may believe the punishments are suitable and that there is not much that can be done to prevent drunk driving from happening. However, I can assure you change needs to happen in Elizabethtown. If we would come together to propose suggestions and ideas, we can make an outstanding difference in our city. For example, we should invest in drunk driving awareness type classes. Like I stated earlier, drivers will become fully aware before they drive, and while they're on the road. Many lives can be saved through one simple action.

My sister's beloved friend Brianna Taylor was brutally killed in a tragic car accident last June. The other driver was intoxicated and had a history of driving under the influence offenses. The city of Elizabethtown was truly shattered by her death. The wonderful life of an intelligent, beautiful, and innocent eighteen year-old girl, planning on attending college at WKU the upcoming year, was devastatingly taken away too prematurely.  It’s truly a terrible shame that many people would rather consume alcohol and choose to drive knowing that their decision could potentially negatively affect someone else’s life.  This example shows that drunk drivers have been responsible for taking the lives of many precious people.  How can we just sit back and risk the possibility of so many more precious lives being taken? It’s time to develop a call to action. Don’t you agree?

In conclusion, Elizabethtown needs to rise up and make changes in our town. Enforcing stronger punishments against drunk driving will do just that. Our city is a lovely place to be, which is why we need to add to it by stepping-up and making some changes. Drunk driving is a massive issue that needs to be dealt with immediately. The safety of others are at risk every day. But the real question is, will you be the one to rise to the occasion and take action? The choice is always yours.

Works Cited:
James. "James." Facesofdrunkdriving.com. N.p., n.d. Web.