Mental Illnesses Aren't Fashion Trends | Teen Ink

Mental Illnesses Aren't Fashion Trends

By EmotionVsMind BRONZE, Lafayette, Louisiana
EmotionVsMind BRONZE, Lafayette, Louisiana

"Sometimes we need it to be cold outside just to feel the warmth of our hearts again."

It is not cool to have a mental disease.
It is not cool to pretend to have one.
You will not get the attention you want.
You will not be spoon fed compliments.

Cutting yourself will not make people want to be your friend or feel bad for you. Pretending to have a bad home life will only go downhill. Starving yourself will not make people compliment your size. Claiming to have false hallucinations is not a joke. What I’m trying to say is, if you have a healthy brain and body, wear it like a medal. Because prancing around with the words I am sick on your face and blog will not get you what you want. If anything it really offends people who do suffer from mental illnesses. We want what you have. You’re healthy, and you’re lucky. There is no glamour to being ill. There is no dazzling spotlight on you when people realize you are sad. There is no drum roll when you have to take 5 pills just to be functional. If you have it good, please, find attention some other way.

Lately, my generation has been under the influence that mental illnesses are a source of attention and that it is "cool" to have them. It upsets me on so many levels.