Teen Suicide | Teen Ink

Teen Suicide

March 29, 2015
By Amar_Mashhour BRONZE, Dearborn, Michigan
Amar_Mashhour BRONZE, Dearborn, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Did you know that the third-leading cause of death for teenagers and the eighth-leading cause of death overall is suicide? Psychological, environmental and social distress are behind all of these deaths. Almost every single person in at least one point of his or her life will experience a time when he or she was anxious, devastated, angry, desperate or disappointed. These feelings could pile up and eventually form the idea of suicide in the persons mind. The person feels that there is no hope left for them, he or she isn’t cared for or understood so why should they have a future; but the fact is, there is hope. There is and always will be hope left and giving up should not be an option.


Scientific evidence has shown that the feelings that lead to suicide are highly treatable. It’s imperative to understand the symptoms that accompany these feelings. These thoughts come in despair and everyone needs to comprehend them correctly whether for themselves, friends or family members.  If the majority of people had the knowledge of the possible disorders and behaviors that come along with the idea of suicide, so much more people would be prevented from ending their own lives.


Furthermore, the symptoms that are essential to understand include significant changes in personality; for example, a loss of interest in hobbies or withdrawal from loved ones could lead to ideas of suicide. Extreme loss or gain in appetite, fatigue and changes in sleeping habits are also signs of disorders. More indications include random anxiety, panics, hallucinations and aggressive or destructive behaviors. If a teenager neglects their appearance, hygiene, school grades or themselves and feel worthless, they could be in serious danger of suicide.
All of these thoughts must have a cause because every effect (symptom/long term suicide) comes from somewhere. Although reasons vary widely, there are numerous general reasons as to why a teen gets suicidal thoughts. Some include, disappointment, loss and rejection. For example, death of family or friends could make a teen feel that suicide is a way to be with their lost one again instead of coping with the loss. Reasons usually compile up and make the teen think of suicide as a solution to their problem because it’s simply easier. However, suicide is permanent and the problem is most likely temporary and solvable. Suicide can also be biological; it has been proven to run in families.


On a more hopeful note, although adult suicides had almost tripled over the years of 1965-1987, teen suicide over the next twelve years has decreased. Also, 80 percent of attempted suicidal teens leave signs before the suicide. At one point or another before the attempt, they give warning to a family member or friend. They might say things or indicate a threat like, “you’ll be sorry when I’m dead” or “I don’t have a choice”. 


Overall, everyone needs to contemplate their actions and their words before they speak. Play what if. What if someone takes your joke to heart? What if they hate you for it or worse, what if they commit suicide and you hate yourself for it? So don’t bully anyone, whether its jokingly or seriously because what if? Don’t take someone’s strong personality as a sign that you can joke around with them because what if? Someone could be laughing on the outside but wanting to cry on the inside. Take a minute and ask yourself what if before you open your mouth and say something you could regret later. Intentional and unintentional bullying are both serious topics; it isn’t a joke.


It’s a commonly-made misconception that once someone is depressed, there’s no going back; they’ve already attempted suicide so they’ll probably just finish what they started within time. However, the person is questioning themselves with mixed feelings about death until the end; no matter how far out the person is, no matter how depressed, the idea isn’t death, it’s for the pain to stop. They don’t necessarily want their life to end they just want to feel better; they are considering choosing the physical pain of hurting themselves instead of whatever emotional pain they are going through.


If anyone threatens or shows extreme suicidal signs, you must act immediately! Ask them questions, talk about it and understand as much as you can. Question them with things like how, when, why and where. Get them to a hospital or facility or call the police. However, you can’t interrogate the person; this will make the problem worse. They will feel worse about the situation and try to commit suicide faster so nobody stops them from doing what they want to do. They will feel like you are taking away the one thing they can control.


There are multiple options when someone is under these extreme circumstances; ignoring suicidal threats or signs is not one of them. Remember, what if? What if you ignore it and they kill themselves? Most importantly, you aren’t betraying your friends trust by trying to keep them alive. You are helping them get through whatever problem they are currently struggling with. Don’t believe 100 percent that if someone who considered suicide says they’re feeling better when you still see suicidal signs is telling the truth. What if they aren’t? What if they’re hurting themselves?


In conclusion, stay strong and keep fighting because someone out there cares; find that person, find those people that keep you cheerful, that give you hope. Keep in mind that suicide doesn’t take away the pain, it gives it to someone else; someone who does care, someone who thinks it’s their fault that they couldn’t prevent you from doing it. Your existence is constantly giving somebody hope; don’t take that hope away from them, don’t leave them playing what if. Suicide is the one mistake you aren’t going to live to regret; don’t be tired of your life, wake up, gain the energy and put on a real smile. Be happy because when you grow up, you’re going to be able to tell your kids that you got through it and that they will too. It’s important to refuse the thought of suicide, love your life and embrace what you have; be thankful for it because at least one thing has to be good, at least one thing could be worse. It doesn’t have to end; it isn’t the only way out and the world won’t be better off without you. Suicide doesn’t eliminate the chance of life getting worse; it rejects the idea that it could get better.