Tune In to a Healthy Lifestyle | Teen Ink

Tune In to a Healthy Lifestyle

By Dcbrooke BRONZE, Wrentham, Massachusetts
Dcbrooke BRONZE, Wrentham, Massachusetts

What is music? Many sources say it is a combination of sounds that produce beautiful harmony, form, and emotions. Similar to exercising or good nutrition, music is actually a fundamental part of our daily lives. Different studies have shown that music is beneficial to learning, memory, and reducing stress. In fact, it has been proven that those who take part in activities pertaining to music have a greater chance of exceeding in their studies, thus providing them with a better, more effective education, as well as a healthy lifestyle.

In terms of improving concentration and motivation in students, listening to music and playing music has a positive impact on the human mind. At night, psychologists recommend listening to calm or quiet music before going to sleep because it brings the mind to a state of relaxation that may allow one to fall asleep quicker. It has been said that this approach may cure sleep deprivation in many students who are required to wake up early every day before school. However, listening to loud or cheery music can do the opposite and awaken the mind, causing a person to become more alert and focused. Listening to upbeat songs usually increases concentration and motivation that enhances exercise performance.

One of the most important reasons to make music a part of our daily lives is that it is proven to reduce stress. For example, teens today use music as an outlet from their normal lives, and they use it to transport themselves to their own personal “happy place.” After school, music can act as a distraction from all of the work and provide relaxation for a student’s mind and body. Decreasing stress is very important because it slows the heart rate and lowers stress hormones, which is vital for good health.

As Hans Christian Anderson once said, “Music speaks where words fail.” Music is an essential gift that can be enjoyable and entertaining, but it is also an important part of leading a healthy and happy lifestyle.