The Great American Couch Potato | Teen Ink

The Great American Couch Potato

Laziness in America has become a full fledged epidemic, it has seeped into every part of American lives, physically, mentally, politically, economically and really any other word that ends in ly. At one time in this great nation’s history, the simple idea of leisure time was appalling to the point of being criminal, and now for many Americans the idea of working hard when you do not have to is absolutely repugnant. Our great nation was built upon people working hard to make things better, but now due to lackadaisical actions of its citizens it festers in laziness. Every day this situation continues to degrade, children go to school and sit in a classroom all day and then when they get home they sit in front of a screen and watch tv or play video games for hours while they snack, then they go to bed and repeat. Adults are just as bad, they go to work and sit, then go home and do very similar things as their children, with little to no attempt to better themselves. This problem persists across every aspect of American life. Getting up and playing or working is a hard thing to get through the heads of many children. I met a young boy who is very much like this he sits all day and plays video games constantly crunching on some sort of snack, a very bad habit indeed, but his parents are too lazy to tell him to get up and stop being lazy. These habits have led to a rise in diabetes, heart disease, and obesity, which leads to more young deaths. The massive problem is being fought from many different fronts with most professional league sports trying to discourage laziness. But seeing an add on tv that tells people to get up and do something will not change anything, a decision by them is the only way, therefore it must be encouraged at all times if this problem is ever to be solved. The solution is simple people must choose like our forefathers once did to get up and not be lazy, but to do with our lives what the most that we are capable of capable of.