A Night Out | Teen Ink

A Night Out

December 15, 2014
By LanaJ BRONZE, Poland, Maine
LanaJ BRONZE, Poland, Maine
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

A dark, silent room, no murmuring to shatter the quite anticipation. All of a sudden the boom of the surround sound breaks the spell and people begin to move, but only their hands. The screen lights up and their eyes glue themselves to the light as if its their savior, their light in the darkness.


Minds blank, eyes transfixed, hands unconsciously reaching for a handful of the extra large, super buttery, salty popcorn or a sip of the icy cola. Reaching for another and another as scenes pass by. Unknowingly you finish that popcorn and soda, so you go get more.

 

No one pays attention to anything besides the bright screen and the loud sounds. Not knowing that they have eaten almost a pound of popcorn, that they have drunken three quarters of a gallon of soda, hat thy have consumed thousands upon thousands of calories. Calories that will no doubt translate to more unwanted weight.

 

As the screen darkens and the lights come on the people leave. They leave to go out for dinner with their families. They go to places like Pizza Hut and eat. They consume three or four slices of the cheesy mass and drink even more soda. The entire time they talk. They talk about the movie they just watched, about a connection to their lives, a scene they liked or didn't, about how well it portrayed the book. Unconsciously wasting more calories.

 

By the end of the night a single family has eaten enough food to feed a starving child for weeks, to think that we eat so much food without realizing in one night. Then you multiply that by how many times the family does the whole movie and dinner night. It makes a person wonder "What does the scale say?"