The 46th Chromosome | Teen Ink

The 46th Chromosome MAG

December 9, 2008
By Charlotte BRONZE, Palm Springs, California
Charlotte BRONZE, Palm Springs, California
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

From the time we are young, we learn that what bonds humans is that we all have 46 chromosomes. However, this is not the case for me. I was born with Turner syndrome, a rare genetic abnormality where a female has only one complete X chromosome, as opposed to two.

I was seven years old when I really found out what Turner syndrome was. Before that I only knew that it was the reason I was short. Then one day I casually asked my mom. Her answer shocked and embarrassed me. Suddenly I felt like I was only half female. What if my other chromosome was supposed to be a Y and I’m really a boy? I thought.

Over the next few years, I learned more about Turner syndrome. My wide neck, broad shoulders, and curled-up fingernails were all manifestations. My parents explained that other symptoms could be learning disabilities in mathematics and difficulty with spatial tasks.

As I made my way through elementary and middle school, my parents and endocrinologist monitored my progress in math. To their surprise, I flourished. I asked myself why that was the case when so many girls with Turner syndrome struggled in math. The answer I came up with was two-fold.

First, I give credit to my parents. From the beginning, they told me not to let my condition stop me from achieving anything. They ingrained in me that I had no limitations and treated me exactly as they did my two older sisters.

Second – and perhaps more significantly – I give credit to simple genetics. Maybe I am one of the lucky girls with Turner syndrome who avoid the common spatial difficulties and are able to excel in mathematics. Consequently I have an intense curiosity about genetics and the way chromosomes make us who we are.

This interest in genetics prompted me to get involved in the Club Angel View. I volunteer at their House for Crippled Children, playing games and socializing with mentally and physically handicapped kids. The majority are in wheelchairs and have some degree of mental retardation, often because of a simple genetic mutation like mine. The more I worked there, the more I became fascinated with genetics and the impact a tiny molecule of DNA can have on an individual.

I also volunteered with the Rotary Interact Club in Mexicali, Mexico, working at a school for children with Down syndrome. Although those students might not have been able to understand the events of the day, it was apparent that they were cheerful and enjoyed our presence.

If a genetic mutation does not stop these children from being happy, then it certainly should not stop me. At that point, any remaining insecurities I had about Turner syndrome vanished. I was pleased to be making a difference in the lives of other children.

My experience with Turner syndrome has taught me to appreciate every day and count my blessings. Furthermore, lacking a forty-sixth chromosome has fostered my deep interest in the intricate concepts of heredity and genetics, topics that I hope to study more in depth in the future.