Diabetic Living

I have been living with diabetes (type one) since I was four years old. Diabetes (type one) is where your pancreas stops or doesn't make enough insulin. It has been a challenge all of my life living with it. When I was little all I understood, was the fact that I wasn't normal and could not always be like everybody else. I was made fun of multiple times. Now, thirteen years old, I am still at a challenge with accepting it. A few weeks ago, I went to the doctors, an endocrinologist, a diabetic specialist. They discovered I was not testing my blood glucose as much as I should have been. I made a HUGE mistake. My parents were disappointed, I was grounded for at least three week from sleepovers, and was threatened on not going to Washington DC for the eighth grade field trip. Since then, I have been testing and doing everything right. But then last week, my sugar got out of hand. For no reason of why it was so high, I wound up in the ER for a few hours and missed two days of school. There was nothing I did to cause it or could do to stop it. I still have not accepted the fact though. I still wish I was just another kid. But I am not. And that's life. I am thankful for what I have though. Great friends, a loving family, and I couldn't ask for anything more.

Bethani said...
Please check out my work at annoymous, highlands ranch, colorado. Some of my works are explosion, pep band, darkness, and guardian angels. Please comment and rate. Thank you!

Bethani said...
I'm sorry for having people be such jerks to you. I know how you feel. I have a learning disorder. Audtiory processing disorder and kids made fun of me for not following directions correctly or hearing things weirdly. Things get better as you get older I promise. I'm in high school and it doesn't happen as much anymore. Keep writing! I love your writing! You can be safe!

musicgirl757 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
That's terrible that kids accually made fun of you over something you can't control, and a very seirious diesease! This is a great informing piece of writting!