His Name is Depression | Teen Ink

His Name is Depression

November 21, 2014
By Anonymous

He eats you alive. You sit and wallow in the darkest part of your brain, losing control. You are not aware of your surroundings but it doesn't matter where you are because Depression follows you. He follows you to school. He follows you to work. He follows you to bed. He follows you everywhere and he sucks every last ounce of joy out of you. He takes away every possibility you have of ever being happy.

If you close your eyes you are drowning. If you open them you are in a head on collision with reality. You can't escape the grey cloud lurking above you. As the years go by he gets bigger and louder and angrier. He roars his ugly head when no one is around. He tells you that you will never be good enough. He rejoices when you lay in bed all day. He sings praises when you don't hangout with friends so you can be alone because you believed him when he said, "no one cares about you."

He lets you believe, just for a second, that maybe it will get better. Maybe he'll get bored and pick on somebody else. Maybe life won't hurt so much. But that's when he hits you the hardest. Leaving you with broken limbs, unable to get back up again.