Fight, and We Will Win! | Teen Ink

Fight, and We Will Win!

By Emily Calabrese BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Emily Calabrese BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

The 2014 epidemic acknowledged as the “Ebola Outbreak”, is the leading, most widespread, disease documented in history. Ebola is a virulent, lethal disease, evident by fever, and severe internal bleeding. It is spread through the contact of infected body fluid. Symptoms include fever, body weakness, muscle pain, headache, and sore throat. Ebola fever has been recently discovered wiping out large populations in multiple countries all throughout West Africa. On September 30, 2014, CDC confirmed the first travel-associated case of Ebola in the United States. Because of the uncontrolled outbreak, the CDC and partners were taking precautions to stagnate the spread of the Ebola virus throughout the United States. Cases have shown that in past outbreaks, up to 90% of humans who contract the Ebola virus, have died.

You may be asking how Ebola traveled all the way from the continent of West Africa to the United States? The first Ebola patient to be diagnosed with the deadly disease was recorded to be in Dallas Hospital in Dallas, Texas. Thomas Eric Duncan, the man who traveled from Liberia to the United States to seek treatment for the Ebola disease, died at the Dallas Hospital 10 days after he was admitted. This man is primarily responsible for spreading the disease into the United States. The day after Duncan’s death, government officials declared innovative screening devices detecting Ebola in the 5 busiest Airports in America. This precaution was taken in order to stop infected travelers from spreading the disease to others around the globe.

The Ebola epidemic is one of the worst epidemics in history. It is starting to expand more and more throughout the United States. Ebola can take up to 21 days to appear. CNN has reported that 5 Dallas school children have allegedly came in contact with Duncan, and were on the school’s district homebound program during the 21-day wait. To this day, no child has shown any symptoms, but we have to ask, how long will it be until they do? Even nurses treating the rare disease were exposed to the virus and have become affected. Ebola is the new contagion of our time, so hopefully it doesn’t inflict too much damage.

U.S. military personnel are being transported to Liberia to help reduce the spread of the infectious disease at this very moment. The outbreak of Ebola is not only scary, but devastatingly epic. Imagine your child, your mom, your sister, your brother; even your best friends finding out they had Ebola. How would you feel? Ebola has not only been the talk of the town, but also the front-page story of the news. President Obama has declared that the Ebola Outbreak is so threatening and so harsh, that it may be needed for him to elect a so-called Ebola czar to focus in on containing the virus. “He will report directly to the president’s homeland security adviser, Lisa Monaco, and the president’s national security adviser, Susan Rice, as he ensures that efforts to protect the American people by detecting, isolating and treating Ebola patients in this country are properly integrated but don’t distract from the aggressive commitment to stopping Ebola at the source in West Africa,” a White House official commented. Only four people thus far have concluded to have Ebola in America, but many more are on the lookout. Anywhere you turn; the airport, the hospital, and even your school, there may be a trace back to this ghastly illness. Ebola is a deadly epidemic that is effortlessly killing anyone in its destructive path, not only in the United States, but also in Africa. We Americans will have to find a way to fight it.