Ebola: The US’s Biggest Problem? | Teen Ink

Ebola: The US’s Biggest Problem?

By C_D_W BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
C_D_W BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Ebola virus disease, also known as Ebola, is a virus that is transmitted through bodily fluids. After becoming infected, some symptoms that people may experience include fevers, headaches, vomiting, and internal and external bleeding. Currently, it has been estimated that 9911 infections and 4868 deaths have occurred due to Ebola.  Recently, this often-deadly disease has spread from Africa to the United States. Due to this, people from around the world have started to fear this formerly unheard of virus.

Although this disease may seem new to some people, Ebola was first spotted in Africa in 1976. The virus caused havoc among the people and resulted in about 430 deaths. In 2013, another outbreak of Ebola began in Africa and began to infect the population. Since then, the virus has infected most of Western Africa and has been transmitted to North America. On October 7, 2014, the first death in the United States, due to this disease, was reported.

Here in the United States, the news that Ebola has migrated from Africa to North America is being spread like wildfire. While many people believe that Ebola is one of the most dangerous diseases existing currently. However, there is nothing to worry about. According to the CDC, there have only been three confirmed cases of Ebola as of October 23, 2014. Also, before the outbreak, scientists have worked other diseases such as HIV/AIDS and forms of cancer on for years. What makes a virus that has only infected three people in the US more important than one that has infected millions? In other words, Ebola is and should not be a major concern for most citizens in the United States.

To prevent future spreading of this disease in Africa and in the US, people have to practice having good hygiene. We have to begin to wash their hands more thoroughly and wear protective clothing when visiting a country infected with Ebola. If these precautions are taken, Ebola should spread more slowly from person to person and will give scientists more time to develop a vaccine. With the cooperation of everyone around the globe, Ebola will not be a problem in the future.

Due to the recent outbreaks of Ebola, many people fear that it will continue to spread around the world. While many of my peers are nervous that they may become infected with this disease, I do not believe that their claims are plausible and do not make any sense whatsoever. Although it is doing quite a bit of damage in Africa, Ebola should not be the United States’ biggest concern right now. Instead, we should focus on existing problems that have a bigger impact on us, such as ISIS or the economy. Once we resolve these issues, we can focus our attention to Ebola and remove this virus from the world.

Over the last few weeks, everyone has been talking about how dangerous Ebola is. While it may do quite a bit of damage in Africa, it is not much of a problem in the United States. I just wanted to express the truth about Ebola to people who fear becoming infected.