Grooming a Rabbit: Clipping Toenails | Teen Ink

Grooming a Rabbit: Clipping Toenails

October 7, 2014
By adrijg3 GOLD, Franklin, Ohio
adrijg3 GOLD, Franklin, Ohio
16 articles 1 photo 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A woman's heart should be so hidden in God that a man has to seek him just to find her." -Max Lucado


Clipping the toenails is a big part of having rabbits.  You should trim the nials every one to six motnths depending on your rabbit and how fast their nails grow.  If you don't clip your rabbits nails it can cause tearing of the nails, nails to fall off, inability to move properly, sore feet, and in some rabbit breeds, sore hocks.  There are two types of clippers you can use.  There are the ones made for cats that look like scissors, or there is the guillotine kind made for dogs.  There are two ways to secure your rabbit while clipping their nails.  The first way, if you have a more dostle rabbit, is to hold your rabbit like a baby on your lap.  If you have a more rowdy rabbit, have a friend flip your rabbit over onton its back by pinning the ears down, grabbing the scruff on the back of its neck firmly, and placing your hand on the rabbit's rump scooping them onto their back.  Once your're in you desired position, push the fur surrounding the nail back, exposing the nail, and clip the very tip of the nail off.  When you're cutting the nail, be sure to only cut the very tip off because if you cut too far you will cut the veins and blood vessels called the quick.  If you cut into the quick, the nail will start to bleed.  To stop the bleeding, get a cotton ball and put a pinch of either syptic powder, cornstarch, or powdered alum.  Take the cotton ball and place it on the nial, pressing down for about twenty seconds.  You should always keep syptic powder, cornstarch, or powdered alum on hand at all times.  Aside from the health factors, you should trim your rabbit's nails to get them ready for show.  Judges will deduct points for broken, missing, or long toenails.  Clipping your rabbit's nails is an important part of their overall health.  So remember all of these given steps and you are on your way to being an awesome rabbit owner!