Fitting In | Teen Ink

Fitting In MAG

By MonicaMS BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island
MonicaMS BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island

I wouldn't ask for a dressing room. My mom always asked for me.
The evening before I had repeatedly risen from my seat and piled on excess noodles suffocated in meat sauce. Then I licked my bowl with the buttered garlic bread, leaving no evidence of the four servings I had inhaled. In the morning I would be forced to lie on my bed and suck in my stomach just to button my jeans. I dreaded school shopping. The sale rack, with its slender size markers, knew my number continued to bloat.

I learned how to eat from my dad: fast and without thinking. In our house, the dinner table involved battle, with the children on defense. One false move and our dinner would be snatched off our plates without warning and gobbled up by our father faster than we could blink. We soon learned to keep a hand up while devouring our chicken strips, and if Mom decided to cook that night we needed to hurry and get seconds before it was gone.

Only one pair of jeans I tried on fit. I lied and told my mother I could button every pair but only needed the jeans that lay guarded in my hands. We walked to the checkout.

I kept my head down as we passed a group of girls. They whispered. I glanced up only long enough to know my place. Their eyes cut at me, hands cupped over their mouths in secrecy.

***

The recess bell rang and I followed two girls in my third grade class out past the monkey bars to the fenced grassy area. We all wore the same clothes that year: khaki pants and polo shirts. Everyone was the same, or that was the idea.

“I like your pants. Where did you get them?” Marcy asked Alicia. I nodded in agreement, thankful they had removed their cupped hands and I could hear the conversation.

“Really? I like yours better,” Alicia replied.

“We should trade. What size are you?” Marcy asked.

“I don't know …” Alicia said, finding the tag in the back of her pants. “Seven.”

“Me too,” Marcy said.

***

I hid in line as I held the jeans, tag folded in so nobody could see the number inscribed on it was 12. I am not a size seven.

Katie1234 GOLD said...
on Oct. 19 2010 at 8:18 am
Katie1234 GOLD, Velva, North Dakota

"When life becomes more than you can stand; fall to your knees"
"To be normal is to be boring."
"You cannot make men good by law."
"Christians believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God because He said so."
"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

I know this feeling. I live in a place where people obsess about weight. And I am no size 7 myself, and I honestly don't wish to be. I shouldn't have to change to get people to like me, and neither should you.

cheerleader96, Tickfaw, Louisiana

I was the same way when i was in 3rd grade and i was that way up till my 6th grade year. yeah, i got picked on and had all crazy rumors but i didnt care what people thought because i loved myself the way i was and so did all my true friends and family. Next time be proud to say im____( fill in the blank) you will actually feel really good about yourself! it worked for me

with love (:

_NoAir_ BRONZE said...
_NoAir_ BRONZE, Toronto, Other

There are as many ways to live as there are people in this world. Each one deserves a closer look.

–Golly (Harriet The Spy)

A very unique type of writing. Interesting and lovely!

lightningscar- BRONZE, Stratford, Other

There are many causes for which I would die for, but none for which I would kill.
-Ghandi

Great writing! I loved this, and can relate.

vera57 said...
It amazing cause their are alot of girls who feel the same... Fitting in is hard. it really is but its almost where you have just stop caring you know? I dont know i just see it like that.. AMAZING INSPIRATIONAL, AND very well wriiten 4/4 stars.

devils 92 said...

Thats a great piece of writing

google said...
I can't even imagine what you felt. I'm so sorry. But, now you can see that they are not and won't be your friends. Just wait, you will find someone who feels the same way that you do. And, just ingorne the girls whispering. Llike they say, you can't judge a book by its cover. :]

this is sad that u had to do that to fit in/:

I really like how your put your heart into your whole peice. it througholy decribes how you feel.

i think that is is sad people have to do that to fit in

This was an awesome article. You described the way girls gossip perfectly. And you made it really easy for me as a reader to relate to you.

Shae E said...
I love it i know how you feel i am actually a small size and no pants fit me. Awww!

darkangle said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:19 am
ive had those moments except it was with one of my friends and like three of her friends and they were like im a size six can you help me find a pair of pants what size are you and i was like ummmm lets not worrie about me i didnt buy andything cause i was afraid of telling them my size which was a fifteen

on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:15 am
i like the way you shared ur secrets with the public

lamicheal said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:12 am
I loved this writing i loved the way you werent afraid to share your secrets 

oreo said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:07 am
that was a good story and i liked how you werent afraid to share it and you seem like  a good writter

carmal23 said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:07 am
That's a very good story, and I know many people go through the same thing. It's sad to think that people judge others just because of their weight. Nicely written.

Dana02 said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:07 am
Im so sorry to hear about that but you shouldn't care about your size everybody is diferent in there own way, but i liked the way you expressed yourself.

on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:06 am
I know exactly how you feel. I used to be worried about my size too but now that I think about it, it doesn't really matter. Great writing by the way!

vauldimort said...
on Oct. 13 2010 at 10:05 am
This is a srtong and shirt story. Very good and motivational.