"If You're Happy and You Know It Clap Your Hands" | Teen Ink

"If You're Happy and You Know It Clap Your Hands"

By fishmantn BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
fishmantn BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

We all know the song. Unfortunately, most of the time, whether we are happy or not, we clap our hands. But are you really happy? Or do you just say you’re happy; to fit in with the crowd, to hide what’s really going on, or to simply just make yourself think you are?

Everyone has their own view of their personal happiness, and each and every individual has different things that make them “happy.” But what is it that truly makes us content? Is it the money? Or the fantastic job you just got promoted to?

The “love of your life” you just met a month ago? Or are these all things you think are making you feel that way? In reality, it’s all you.

Statistics say that 50% of happiness comes from genetics; how your parents’ personalities are, and any family influences you’ve witnessed as you’ve grown up. 10% says it’s from external circumstances; relationships, education, life experiences, other people. Happiness is also a choice, bringing us to our last 40% that says it is based off of your own actions and thoughts. What many people get from this is basically just numbers; but it’s explaining how we tend to overestimate the importance of life circumstances in ranking our happiness, or that small 10% factor (“Happiness”).

We were born in a culture of judgment, matter over mind instead of the other way around. This is what society has fallen into; a deepening aperture. People have a “mental list” of things that would make us happier; things like possessions, having more power, fame, perfect looks---but we are often disappointed. Why? Because we are looking in the wrong place; we ring up at the cashier without happiness because without having items on that “mental list”, we think negatively. We feel that “once this happens…I’ll be happy.” We’ve all said it, I know I have. But we can’t keep relying on all these little things; we need a sturdy ground to keep happiness, and that starts with us.

Forget the money, or the perfect looks…look at yourself. Regardless of whether you feel you are content with your day or not, are you happy? It’s time to start looking at your life as a whole because we are just starting out, and we still have a long way to go. As hard as it is, force yourself to look at things with optimism; thinking negatively of something before it even happens will make it all the more dreadful. End of story.

Looking at something with even the slightest amount of hope will improve the experience. We are the primary source of our own happiness. Therefore, it’s in our own hands to make decisions that raise or lower our gratitude.

Begin to force positive emotions on even the things that are the complete opposite. Doing this will begin to fuel your life; it will guide you on that “road less traveled by,” because you don’t want to be on that road with the ordinary people anyway.

So don’t clap your hands if you don’t mean to; start looking in the right places for happinessand then clap your hands.

"Happiness." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 04 Sept. 2014. .