Hookah: A drug gone un-warned

Ever since I was a child, my parents warned me about the dangers of drugs and constantly persuaded, no, commanded me not to use them. They usually just spoke to me about alcohol and cigarettes, but I knew that there were other, much more horrifying drugs out there, and I knew to stay away from those as well.

As I grew older and entered into high school, my parents eventually mentioned these other, much more fatal drugs to me. Both of my parents lived through the sixties and were fully aware of what teenagers did with drugs. They told me what could happen to me if I started using now -- that all my hopes and dreams could vanish in a single instant.

This reassurance from my parents that drugs were bad has led me to lead a drug free life. I have never once taken a puff from anything puffable, a snort from anything snortable, or a drink from anything drinkable. I know that snorting cocaine will rot my sinuses out. I know that marijuana will turn me into a vegetable. I know that alcohol will chew up my liver. And I know that all of those things, including the dozens of others that I haven’t mentioned, can all kill me. I know all of this because my parents talked to me about it.

There is one drug, however, that my parents didn’t ever speak to me about. This is hookah. Hookah is a flavored tobacco that is smoked through a hose connected a device called a bong. When the hookah is placed in the bond and lit, the smoke that emanates from it travels through the water that the bong is filled with, through the hose, and into the smoker’s mouth and lungs. Smoking hookah is legal and many people, especially those in high school and college, love to indulge in it.

Even though my parents never spoke to me about hookah, I have never smoked it. As I said before, I lead a clean life and any sort of drug, no matter its legality or form, appalls me. Thus, it appalls me to see teens my age, my friends even, who are fully aware of the dangers of drugs and detest them to their fullest, smoke hookah.

Some teens argue that they smoke hookah because it is safe, or at least safer than smoking cigarettes or marijuana. Unfortunately, they are wrong; smoking hookah is just as dangerous as smoking cigarettes.

According to the article “Dangers of hookah smoking” posted by Harvard Health Publications, “Researchers have found that hookah smokers inhale more often and for longer periods than typical cigarette smokers. Scientists estimate that by puffing longer and in greater volume, a water pipe smoker inhales the equivalent of 100 cigarettes or more during a single water pipe session.”

One-hundred cigarettes. For the teens I know that cringe at the thought of smoking even one Marlboro, this should come as a slap in the face. As educated beings in the twenty-first century, most teens know the harmful effects of cigarette smoke upon the smoker and the surrounding bystanders. Prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke can lead to emphysema and other lung diseases, so why would teens (or anyone, for that matter) willingly inhale hookah smoke which is 100 times worse than the smoke from a single cigarette?

Along with the smoke, when teens inhale hookah from a bong, they are also inhaling the addicting chemical called nicotine, which is more commonly associated with cigarettes. Since the hookah smoke passes through the water that fills the bong, many smokers think that the nicotine and other harmful chemicals of the hookah are filtered out through the process. They have been deceived.
Steven J. Gallegos, the tobacco prevention and control coordinator of the American Lung Association of California, said in an articled titled “Familiar smoking dangers found in hookah use” published by UCLA’s Daily Bruin, “…The water is nothing more than a conduit between the tobacco and the mouth -- you’re still getting the same poisons from the tobacco and smoke.”
By smoking hookah, some users are unaware that they are inhaling nicotine. Because of this, if they smoke it in excess, they have the potential of becoming nicotine addicts.
“Scientists are primarily concerned that the social appeal and misconceptions of hookah smoking will lead to a greater number of people becoming addicted to nicotine and that hookah users may eventually become cigarette smokers,” stated “Familiar smoking dangers found in hookah use.” It looks as if the teens I know who loathe the thought of putting their lips to a cigarette may actually succumb to their worst fear if they don’t kick the habit of smoking hookah now.

The other main reason why teens are fond of smoking hookah is because it is legal for persons 18 or older, at least in California. However, cigarettes are legal for persons 18 or over to smoke as well. So why choose hookah over cigarettes if it is just as legal and just as lethal as cigarettes?

The answer is because hookah is more socially acceptable. In today’s world, we see smoking cigarettes becoming a banned practice everywhere from the beaches to restaurants -- it seems as if the only refuge for a cigarette smoker these days is in their own home. Hookah, however, according to a pamphlet by California’s Clean Air Project, is only banned in workplaces. If a person wants to smoke it, they can go anywhere else they want. Bars have even been set up with the sole purpose of smoking hookah -- you don’t see too much of that in cigarette-ville.

Due to the social acceptability of hookah, teens are drawn to smoking it more than they are to smoking cigarettes. They figure if they smoke cigarettes, their parents will get mad, their friends will shun them, and eventually, like every other drug their parents have warned them about, they’ll die. If they smoke hookah however, their friends will think they are cool and most likely join in with them, they won’t die because they do not know the dangers of hookah smoking, and if they don’t tell their parents, well, they’ll never know nothing is askew.

For example, if Jimmy’s parents ask, “Jimmy? Why does your breath smell like apples?” Jimmy can respond, “Because Mike gave me some apple-flavored gum.” The issue of flavored hookah tobacco never comes to mom and dad’s mind.

One thing I see many of my friends who smoke hookah doing is taking photos of themselves while they are at a hookah bar smoking, and then post them to their Myspace pages. When I discover this, I see beautiful, intelligent girls with all the potential in the world mortally wounding their possibilities of being accepted into Harvard or being hired as a fashion photographer for Vogue. Posting self-incriminating photos like that on Myspace can cost any person their future career or acceptance letter; it’s a well known fact mentioned to outgoing high school seniors over and over again before they apply to colleges.

Also when I see these girls posting pictures of themselves smoking hookah on Myspace, I see them turning into unattractive slobs.

For all my life I have viewed smoking as being unattractive. Even when I see a beautiful woman smoking, I consider her to be unattractive. I know a lot of men who would never date a woman who smokes as well. This brings a question to mind whenever I see a photo of a friend smoking: does she think smoking makes her attractive? I hope she realizes that it doesn’t, for having grey smoke drifting from her nostrils and a glazed “I’m higher than a kite” look in her eyes really doesn’t scream class or beauty.

The same goes with all the teenage boys I see posting photos of their smoking selves. While they may be thinking “I’m so totally cool right now,” I’m thinking “You’re so totally feeding the stereotype that all men are pigs right now.”

Whether teens smoke hookah because they think it’s safe, legal, or more socially acceptable than smoking cigarettes, they are making a poor decision. Smoking hookah is just as legal and just as dangerous as smoking cigarettes, and even if they may think they look cool while doing it, they look like big pea brains to everyone else.

Teens need to think before they decide to smoke hookah. And parents should start talking to them about its dangers. After all, if they care enough about their kids to go over some of the drugs out there in life, they may as well go over them al; skipping over a drug, even one as acceptable as hookah, is not worth the risk of losing a child to addictive behaviors or even the injustices of society.

darth said...
Jun. 8 at 8:14 pm:
Reading this makes me wanna puke. Written by somebody who is unable to look critically, has no experience and possesses very limited, cherrypicked (by educational system or parents) knowledge on the matter. Sugar and coffee are also drugs. Not to mention substances produced by the brain during orgasm or while sleeping. The air in city centers is way more polluted than a smoker's house in the woods. And so on. The world is full of  "demonic" chemicals.. ..and everyone dies ... (more »)

shishagirl said...
Apr. 20 at 11:57 pm:
There are so many different types of hookah tobacco.  There are types with tobacco, which do contain nicotine.  But that type only contains .5mg per bowl, where as ONE cigarette contains 9mg.  There are also types that don't have any tobacco or nicotine at all.  Those types are called herbal shisha. 

CamelCash007 said...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:35 pm:
This has to be either someone trolling, or one of the most funniest saddest articles I've read in a while. Literally around 50% of this article is false.  Check out reddit.com/r/hookah We'll be more than happy to inform you on everything about hookah. And how it really isn't that dangerous. Even ask your doctor about it. Mine agress that Hookah isn't bad.

Criticism≠Negative said...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:00 am:
I think all the holes in this article have been sufficiently exposed. So all that's left to say is: Wow.. lol **Nothing's quite so dangerous as an idiot armed with a little bit of information.**

george.white said...
Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm:
"weed turns you into a vegetable"  alcohol and ciggaretes kill thousands of people every year, weed kills.... zero.  yes it make you stupid for the time being, but it doesnt change you what so ever in the long run next time, write you argument on something worth arguing about..... like the rising use of xtc in our youth. 

Alex said...
Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:20 am:
This article is so full of misinformation it makes my head spin.

First off, it's a HOOKAH, not a bong. You smoke weed out of a bong. There is a stem and a base (remember here again, it's a BASE not a BONG).

1 session equivalent to 100 cigarettes? You've got to be kidding me. The "smoke" inhaled from a hookah is actually a vapor consisting of evaporated glycerin, flavoring, and molasses/honey. You're not burning anything (unless you're doing... (more »)

James212 replied...
Jul. 19 at 4:16 am :
You're very misinformed.  Hookah smoke does contained incredibly high amounts of tar, comparable to about 84 cigarettes per bowl.  Do some research before you spew your ignorance.  Oh, and I've been smoking shisha for years now.  Just not living in denial. 

ericrobertson said...
Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:36 am:
90% of hookah smokers smoke flavored herbal Shisha, which has 0% nicotine. Get your facts straight.

Parrot replied...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:06 pm :
herbal makes me nausious and gives me a headache; I'd rather smoke real Shisha thanks. same for most of the people i know. 

stupid.stupid. said...
Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:49 am:
There's such thing as tobacco free shisha which is made of organic recycled fruit. Do your research before you go stereotyping. I know lebanese men nearly 100 years old that have smoked shisha their whole life. This post is just idiotic. & that's my way of being "constructive".

BobyH said...
In addition to the other comments that have shed more light on the subject to give a clear view on this subject, I will add a few more facts.

- Over 99% of the smoke from shisha is vapor from the vegetable glycerin injected and soaked into the tobacco, which allows for extraction of the nicotine without burning the actual tobacco. If the tobacco is burning it will be an unpleasant and improper smoking of shisha.
- From the previous fact, yes, Harvard did write an article stati... (more »)

zeraomega said...
hello i agree with your article but before u start smashing on a subject u should really research a little, one hookah is the name of the pipe, two what u smoke is called shisha ( commonly called in the U.S  other places it has several names) also ur not not smokeing the tobacco your baking it with the coals the point of the shisha is 2 heat up the glycerin and the flavoring. the tobacco is used as a medium u should know glycerin isnt harmful to people also nicotine evaporates at room temp ... (more »)

TimHL said...
I encourage you to review your article.  Right now, you have some things right, and some wrong. 

1) Shisha is what you smoke. It's toasted, thereby releasing the smoke through the hookah (not a bong, that's for pot). Shisha is the flavored tobacco leaf, hookah is the device used to smoke it. You present some valid information, such as the volume of smoke through hookah use equaling "one hundred cigarettes". What you fail to mention, because of your bi... (more »)

Expose the truth said...
Constructive: you're voice is well developed throughout the article, you wrote about something important to you Criticism: everything in the article is wrong, I've done better research while i was stoned out of my mind. Question: when you say you dispise all drugs do you mean that? caffeine and sugar are both drugs, and even oxygen in concentration can get you high. Statement: what's wrong with being high anyways? anyways, good work, i'm sure your parents are very proud of you

lolz1 said...
Pot will turn you into a vegatble.
wrong, you lose. better luck next time.

by the way, you dont smoke hookah. you smoke shisha FROM a hookah.

get your facts straight okay kid?

ciqarettes replied...
Dec. 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm :
well said and completely true

Wilder18Roxanne said...
Jun. 6, 2012 at 6:35 am:
I received my first credit loans when I was not very old and that helped my business very much. But, I require the consolidation loans as well.

ajmarcum said...
Apr. 25, 2012 at 8:28 am:
well this mite be true but there is non nicotine tobacco hookah that basically uu just smokin water vapor nn its better/ healthier then the nicotine one....=) i no i smoke hookah....

kuntpuncha said...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 1:53 am:
the part about a hookah session being the equlivent of 100 cigarettes is completly bogus. yes there is the potential to consume the smoke "volume"(volume is neglable unless tempture and pressure are also notted, source; gas laws of chemistry) of 100 cigarettes, but to do so would require constant inhalation of hookah smoke and would result in death by lack of oxygen to the brain. i have done the math my self , the amount of nicotein in shisha can vary form the same percent by mass of nicotein to... (more »)

Nate said...
Haha!  Whoops. I meant "Thirdly" and then "Lastly".  Proof reading is hard in these teeny tiny comment windows!