The Truth About Self-Harm

Self-harm is when one intentionally inflicts pain amongst themselves. Young adults of this generation are more commonly depressed with the increasing drama. Children as young as eleven are now slicing their skin open with razors that may carry diseases. There are also those who pierce their skin with pins and needles. Some teens have eating disorders. And the mutual question often asked is, why? Why are these teenagers hurting themselves to this extent? The answer for that is that for them the physical pain is easier for them to feel than the mental/emotional. They often feel depressed, misunderstood, and most times they do not like their appearances.

These young adults do not realize the risks of self-harm. To begin with, these cuts teenagers make leave scars, scars that stay with them for a long time. By the way, anything used to cut could carry bacteria that could infect the wound. Additionally, bulimia, an eating disorder can cause your teeth to decay. And did you know that if you are anorexic and you begin to eat normally again, you are just going to gain all that weight back. The biggest risk had with eating disorders is that in the future if you have been diagnosed with one, you are ineligible to receive an organ donation.

If you self-harm you now know the risks. Try to seek help; don’t be afraid to talk to somebody. Talk to your parents, or even your school counselor. There are even websites that tell you where you can go to receive help. If you know somebody or even think somebody self-harms, tell someone. Talk to them; let them know you are there to support them. Discuss the risks with them and convince them to get help.
Causing pain to yourself won’t solve anything, it will only create more problems in the future. Never think you are alone, there is always somebody out there who knows what you are feeling. All in all, just remember we are all in this together, don’t ever give up.

MynaJane1234This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 29 at 8:24 pm:
im a self  harmer and i do know the risks and i also have a eating disorder and i knoiw what could happened and i just dont care but i understand where you are coming from and i thank you for that. but i thik i also need someone to talk to becase i think it is getting worse and i cant stop i want to but cant :( thanks for the article i really like it your a great writer :)

Aiyana replied...
Jul. 30 at 8:18 pm :
i was a self harmer also at one point, i understand how you feel... and you have my email, you can message me anytime... i willl be there for you. also, my number is 716-544-4790

Call_Me_AriaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 15 at 12:53 pm:
Hey! Maybe those self-cutting know these risks already, but as someone who doesn't self harm, this mentioned a lot of stuff I didn't know much about :) I read another one of your Hot Topic Entries, and I think you really have a lot of drive and passion when it comes to writing this stuff.
My only critique? I wish they were longer! Pack them with facts and statistics and quotes!

Aiyana replied...
Jul. 28 at 10:08 pm :
haha thank you, i will keep that in mind the next time i write. i plan on looking at your entries soon. if youwqnt try my private entry, just search "my final apology"

ShaniaJ. said...
Jul. 6 at 1:06 pm:
This was great and everything but confused me because you were simutaneously sympathizing with us and belittling us (self harmers) . What makes you think we dont know the risks? I wouldnt climb a mountain without knowing how long it might take me to get up there .. all I'm saying is dont be so condescending . Most of us are very educated on what we're doing to our own bodies. Maybe the pro's outweigh the con's. Maybe some individuals just dont care. Don&#... (more »)

Aiyana replied...
Jul. 9 at 7:52 pm :
i wouldnt really say im belittling anybody, as i was once a self-harmer, i just think people should know what theyre body is becoming, we do it because sometimes we dont like our appearances or what people say about us. if we are self harming we are destrying the bodies we are given in birth and giving people more to say about us, i do appreciate your criticism though.