Stem Cell research, the future of modern medicine | Teen Ink

Stem Cell research, the future of modern medicine

By Ajay Khipple BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois
Ajay Khipple BRONZE, Wilmette, Illinois
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Scientists have been researching and looking for breakthroughs in modern medicine for decades. Famous pioneer scientists like Francis Collins and James Watson have created astounding research over the last several decades. Stem cell research has the potential to cure the most heinous illnesses and diseases. Stem cells are very peculiar yet special cells found in the body which can regenerate into any cell in the human body. Adult stem cells and stem cells deriving from embryos should be used frequently in today's medicine. There have been many disagreements regarding stem cell research. This form of medicine will always remain a controversial topic. Many conservative and religious groups are against using embryos for medical research. Adult and embryonic stem cell research is the future medicine of the world and it is imperative for the United States government to start funding more money towards it.

Since the 1950s, scientists have been researching the idea of combining matured cells and human embryos. Embryonic stem cells are when a human embryo is destroyed and matured in a laboratory. In the laboratory, these embryos are turned into stem cells in the process called vitro fertilization. Many scientists compare similarities between human cells to mice, rats and other rodent cells because rodent cells mature and develop more quickly. This is why many scientists use rodents for various tests and experiments. Some scientists have been more successful, and overall, scientists have advanced knowledge in this area of research. James Thomson was successful by creating one of the first embryonic stem cell lines (Stem cells timeline). An embryo is created when a female egg is mated with a male sperm cell. Once this embryo is created, it has the potential to become any cell inside the body. That is a reason why stem cells are unique and special. Although this remains a controversial topic, it is the backbone of stem cell research.

In order to initiate the regaining of the human tissue or cells, a human embryo must be terminated, and this is why stem cell research remains a controversial topic. Most conservative and religious groups are against the destroying of the human embryo. They consider this murder and they call it immoral. This is not immoral because the embryo is a cluster of cells, not a living human and does not show emotion. These embryos will be destroyed whether used for stem cell research or not. Embryos that have already been destroyed are better used saving lives then not being used at all. This is why many couples donate their embryos to research. Many people believe the embryos were never living in the first place.

Scientists may have found a way to create stem cells without using human embryos. An example of stem cell research without using embryos would be using adult stem cells found in red bone marrow. One such case, is that of a 69 year old heart failure patient who received stem cell treatment to save his life. Brent Benson was recommended by doctors for stem cell research therapy held at the University of Utah. In the study he participated in, stem cells located in the bone marrow of Bensons body, found in his hip, were withdrawn and then were differentiated into heart cells. These were then later injected to his heart. In Bensons heart, thirty injections of stem cells have been recorded. These special stem cells regenerated tissue in his heart, making it able to pump blood more easily. His doctor believed that his therapy was successful due to the simple fact that Benson was able to outlive what his doctor predicted originally (Marcovitz).

This tells us that stem cell research has enormous potential to affect a wide range of therapies, affecting people of all ages. It is the function of a government to encourage any activity which improves the lives of its people. By not funding stem cell research, the government would be denying its benefits to a large number of people, in order to appease a small number of social conservatives. If the government funds this research, the results will include direct benefits to patients, future scientific advances, and a new industry potentially employing thousands of workers.

As new surprising stem cell studies are made each day, many religious groups are against the killing of the human embryo during the process of stem cells collection, but now scientists actually think they can develop safe stem cells without the destroying of the embryo. A new breakthrough has recently been revealed that involves stressing cells. By soaking cells in acid, scientists believed that the stressed cells cause them to turn into stem cells. (Pollack). Although this new study has only performed with cells from mice, this new method has the potential to be ten times easier and quicker than most methods today, such as removing adult stem cells from red bone marrow. With more scientists creating more stem cell procedures, this would make a huge impact on medical research by speeding the process of creating stem cells. Although new methods and breakthroughs have been discovered recently on stem cell research, many attempts to ban stem cell research have been initiated by the government. In June of 2007, former president Bush vetoes federal funds for stem cell research( Stem cell timeline)

Stem cell research have increased over the last decade, resulting in more in depth breakthroughs. In the 1860's and 1870's early scientists were learning about stem cells little by little, not understanding the function of them. However, in recent years, stem cell research has taken many massive leaps (Marcovitz). There have been hundreds of new studies and new developments resulting in an abundance of cures and treatments. These modern medical discoveries have made stem cells have more potential than scientists ever thought were possible. These researchers have also opened up new areas of research and discoveries. Such research can multiply future discoveries. This is all possible due to more funding of stem cell research. Stem cell research is one of the most advanced modern medical developments of this era. With huge leaps in research each day, stem cell research is becoming a medicine of complexity and advancement. This research has allowed scientists to cure and potentially cure diseases that scientists have thought were incurable (Marcovitz). If stem cell research were to lose funding, research and development for advances related to this area could come to a stand still. United States scientists would not be able to work with their international colleagues and would not be able to help create new breakthroughs in science. Over the last two hundred years, stem cell research has made many leaps and will continue to advance.

Adult and embryonic stem cells are obviously imperative to patients struggling with life threatening illnesses and diseases, but many people do not know stem cells can cure many injured athletes. Now that modern day athletes are constantly struggling with injuries, stem cells were proved to cure many injuries in sports.Yankees pitcher Bartolo Colon struggled with injuries since his 2005 season. Before he was signed by the yankees, doctors injected stem cells in his throwing elbow. Colon had had surgery on this elbow and the stem cells had refreshed new tissue in his elbow. While on the Yankees, Colon had been improving and his arm is perfectly strong. Colon had recuperated quickly due to stem cell research (Kovaleski). Devastating sports injuries could be treated with the process of stem cell therapies. Athletes dislike injuries more than anything else in their line of work. With pitchers and football players getting injured involving important muscles like biceps and triceps, it is essential for modern medicine to be at its best. Athletes being treated with stem cells can benefit other people as well. Everyday injuries similar to athletes could be cured easily with more funds. With more funds towards stem cell research, athletes would not have to worry about career ending injuries.

Stem cell research has been one of the most marvelous discoveries over that last century. This discovery has inspired hundreds of scientists around the world. Stem cells have potential to regenerate into any cell in the body, meaning that it will be able to cure diseases that were once thought of hopeless. With more money towards research, scientists will make even more discoveries and will make unimaginable advancements. These peculiar cells can affect everyone around the world from the blind to the most tremendous athletes in the world. The most innovative discoveries of modern medicine would be possible in the future, due to stem cell research.

Works Cited
Johnson, Carolyn Y. “Simple Way Found to Create Stem Cells.” Boston Globe. 30 Jan. 2014: p. A.1. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 03 Feb. 2014.
Johnson, Carolyn Y. “Judge Dismisses Challenge to Stem Cell Funding.” Boston Globe. 28 Jul. 2011: A.2. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 04 Feb. 2014.
Kovaleski, Serge F. “After Stem Cell Treatment, Pitcher Regains Form.” International Herald Tribune. 13 May. 2011: 14. SIRS Issues Researcher.Web. 31 Jan. 2014.
Marcovitz, Hal. Stem Cell Research. Sn Diego, Ca: ReferencePoint Press, 2011. Print. Inside Science.
Naik, Gautam. “New Promise for Stem Cells.” Wall Street Journal. 12 Sep. 2013: p. A.3. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 21 Jan. 2014.
Noto, Bethany. “Stem Cell Therapy for Athletes.” Mississippi sports law review: 148-64. Print.
Pelzer, Jeremy. “Lawmakers Try Again to Ban Human Cloning, Human-Animal Hybrids.” Cincinnati Enquirer. 08 Dec. 2013: p. 6. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.
Pollack, Andrew. “Study Says New Method Could Be a Quicker Source of Stem Cells.” New York Times [New York] 30 Jan. 2014, New York Edition ed., Business: B2. Print.
ProQuest Staff. “At Issue: Stem Cells.” ProQuest LLC. 2014: n.pag. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.
ProQuest Staff. “Stem Cells Timeline.” Leading Issues Timelines. 2013: n.p. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.
Red, Christian. “Peyton Manning Receiving Stem Cell Therapy Thrusts Medical Procedures back into sports spotlight.” New York Daily News [New York City] 19 Sept. 2011, sec. 1: 1. Print.
“Stem Cell Research Gets a Reprieve.” New York Times. 21 Jan. 2013: A.20. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 29 Jan. 2014.
Stem Cells Reset Inside Mice.“ Australasian Science. Nov. 2013: p. 41. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 24 Jan. 2014.
“Stem Cells Reset Inside Mice.” Australasian Science. Nov. 2013: p. 41. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 29 Jan. 2014.

I was researching stem cell research for a few weeks but the topic had interested me for months. I hope this paper inspires others and will recognize stem cell research.