Peanut Butter Perfection | Teen Ink

Peanut Butter Perfection

February 9, 2014
By mocarlock97 PLATINUM, Hineston, Louisiana
mocarlock97 PLATINUM, Hineston, Louisiana
46 articles 5 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-His good pleasing perfect will."- Romans 12:2


Start “spreading” the news- March 1, 2014 is National Peanut Butter Lover’s Day! It is a perfect time to celebrate one of America’s beloved spreads. On this day, some people make their own peanut butter, bake a favorite recipe with it, or visit a peanut farm, but most choose to spend this day eating their peanut butter on celery, crackers, apples, and bread. For those of you who can not celebrate on this day, don’t worry, there are plenty of other opportunities to enjoy peanut butter on a holiday for it. April 2 is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day, June 12 is National Peanut Butter Cookie Day, and November 20 is National Peanut Butter Fudge Day. March is National Peanut Month, and November is National Peanut Butter Lover’s Month. Unless you have an allergy to peanut products, you can celebrate all year long!

The National Peanut Board says, “The average child will eat 1,500 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before he or she graduates high school, and the average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year.” It comes in many types; a few of these are natural, chunky, or creamy from brands such as Jif, Peter Pan, and Skippy. Smooth peanut butter is the most popular, enjoyed mainly by women and children. Jif, one of the most commonly bought brands, produces approximately 250,000 jars of peanut butter daily.

The invention of peanut butter is credited to George Washington Carver, but some say the true inventor is unknown. Dr. John Harvey Kellogg and Joseph Rosefield are also regarded for their work with peanut butter. It has many uses, such as: cleaning, getting the smell out of certain things, or getting gum out of hair. It can be very healthy for us because studies show that people who eat peanut butter or nuts regularly are not as likely to develop heart disease. Protein and healthy fats are also in peanut butter. Remember these great facts the next time you bite into a pleasant peanut butter and jelly sandwich.