Ode to Emos

You're sad, angry and confused. Your world is spinning fast. Your mind is racing. Your heart is beating. Your hand is shaking. Tears drop from your eyes onto the blood. You're gasping for breath. You have a slight smile drawn across your face. You feel no pain from the cut only the pain of the disasters of your life. You drop the blade clenching your arm. You slowly lay down. You say his/her name over and over again. Trying everything you can to help you drift alseep. YOu wake up the next morning earlier thand usual. Flashbacks of the night instantly replay themselves inside your head. Your arm is sore. Slowly and carefully you slide up your sleeve revealing the bloodstains on your shirt. You feel ashamed but in a way satisfied. You know you're crazy but you don't care.

banana This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
on the contrary, shayshay, depression is scientifically proven to be the most common illness in teens. this piece of writing is an extremely good representation of what many teens go through and try to hide. Although i'm not really sure about the title "Ode to Emos" (do you really want to encourage this kind of behavior?) the writing is great.

Hannah W. replied...
Not neccersarly did I intend to encouage the behavior as more of exploit. I used the term "emo" as more of a generalization more than an insult or anything else.

ShayShay said...
The reason this sounds ridiculous is because it was written by someone who doesn't really know what "emo" is. Emo is people who wish that they were depressed so that they could get more attention from people they care about or some other trivial reason blown out of porportion, not because of a tramuatic expirence, but of the normal teenage angst. "Emo" people heard of cutting and thought this was a good way to express their teenage angst. Most of the time "emos" are not depressed just misunde... (more »)

Hannah W. said...
I wrote a "ode" about this so called movement because many many people I think no matter how....ridiculous, will be able to relate to it. Take it from someone whose been in that position. Also the inspiration for this short little article came from the media that more and more people are falling into. That is why I wrote an ode to the "self-indulgent, overdramatic, whiny" youth of the world.

Debaser12 said...
Dec. 9, 2008 at 10:24 am
This is ridiculous. See if I care. Why would you write an ode to the most self-indulgent, overdramatic, whiny counterculture movement of all time?

theunhappyhours said...
I don't thing you thought this through. But the again, you aren't supposed to. it's very interesting, i like it.