Breast Cancer Awareness | Teen Ink

Breast Cancer Awareness

By AnaGranado BRONZE, Boynton Beach, Florida
AnaGranado BRONZE, Boynton Beach, Florida

Breast Cancer Awareness

Shocking Statics

The earliest recorded cases of Breast Cancer were in Ancient Egypt, and even after all this time a cure has yet to be found.

About 1 in 8 U.S. women will develop breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.

About 15% of women who get breast cancer have a family member diagnosed with it.
Susan G. Komen

Many of you have heard this name before I’m sure, but it’s not just another name this is a breast cancer foundation where you can race for the cure, share your story, and get support from others.

Susan was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 33 years old. She fought as hard as she could for as long as she could but three years later died, her younger sister loved her and hated seeing her live that life. While they were in the hospital Suzy often mentioned to her younger sister Nan that they should do something to help out the other patients. Once Suzy passed away, Nan thought about those conversations long and hard she asked herself “could one person really make a difference?” She then created the Susan G. Komen foundation.

“Could one person really make a difference?”

It only takes one person to step forward and donate for others to see no matter how little the amount it will help.

Too often in life we take the people we love for granted. We never know when our last day is going to be.

Think of the most important person in your life, now think how different your life would be if you never saw or spoke to them again. One person can make a difference.
What can you do to help?

Be a Fighter. Being a fighter doesn’t necessarily mean you have cancer, but you are helping fight cancer. Get involved and help raise awareness! There are many ways you can get involved and donate at http://ww5.komen.org/