Food Regulation | Teen Ink

Food Regulation

Americans are proud to be number one in many things, but obesity should not be one of them. As of October 2013, the United States has the highest obesity rate in the world at 34%. But this is not a new phenomenon. It has been a problem for years, and obviously people are not changing their ways. If this shocking statistic does not make Americans desire to change their lifestyle, then the government needs to interfere in order to improve the health of the country. I don’t believe that the government should be able to tell us what we can eat; however, I do believe that we should have the option to make healthier choices.

The first step in reducing obesity is education. From a young age, Americans should be educated about making healthy choices. A lot of people think that children can eat whatever they want because they will just burn it off running around and playing. But if you bring up a child with unhealthy habits, these could follow them throughout life. Schools should be required to teach their students about healthy eating in health classes. In addition, schools should be offering nutritious foods for breakfast and lunch. Some say children are not going to eat fruits, vegetables, and other healthy foods. But if that was the only option from the first school lunch they ate, it would become a habit and they wouldn’t know anything different. This would ensure that children are getting at least one nutritious meal in a day. When they go home, they might be eating fast food for dinner every day. So if they come to school and eat junk food too, their health will deteriorate before they have the chance to make their own choices. If parents aren’t taking responsibility for their child’s health, then the government has to do something about it. And if parents are unhappy with the school serving healthy food, then they can pack their child a lunch filled with chips, soda, and cookies, and have their child’s health on their own conscience.

The government needs to make sure everyone is well informed about what they are eating. They have started doing this by mandating large fast food chains to post the calorie counts for their foods and beverages. This is an important change in the food industry because now people have the option to choose healthier items. According to John Stossel’s special, “Myth, Lies, and Complete Stupidity,” 50% of people do not even notice these calorie counts, making them useless. But this is not the case. For every person who doesn’t notice the calorie counts, there is a person who does. And these people have the option to pick a healthier meal. The government is not telling us what to eat, but rather giving us the option to make an informed decision. If people choose to ignore that information, then they have to deal with the consequences.

Fast food is cheap, which is why a lot of people are attracted to it. They can get a quick and inexpensive meal that tastes great. The only problem is that it is filled with preservatives and fat that ruins their health. But when that’s the only thing a person can afford, then what choice do they have? This is where the government needs to step in. Healthy foods can be expensive and time consuming to make. The government should subsidize healthy foods in order to encourage people to eat them. In addition, fast food restaurants should be required to provide healthy options for people who still want quick food. If even with these changes, people continue to eat the greasy foods, then that is their choice.

The government should regulate the food industry in order to give Americans the option to make healthy choices. Regulation does not take away our choices, but rather it gives us more. If schools served nutritious food, then children would have the option to eat that nutritious food or bring a lunch from home with whatever they want. Since restaurants started posting calorie counts, people have the option to make a healthier choice. If all fast food restaurants provide healthy options, then people would have the option to eat healthier. In all these cases, Americans will be given more choices in which to improve their health. In the case of obesity, America should strive to come in last.

Books1 said...
When I was little I was raised eating junk food and my grandma ate all the time so did I when I was bored. My family would crack jokes about how I live to eat and they eat to live, my sister and others would call me names and my grandma would tell stop eating all the food. So around 7th grade I was 130 pounds ... In science class I watched a Anorexic documentary and after that I couldn't deny I was obese. I starved myself and close After that I was 90. 5'3 but now I am better but I'm big boned not fat but physically my bones are wider people they need to try and not lie about their weight and be healthy...•_•