Legalizing Medical Marijuana | Teen Ink

Legalizing Medical Marijuana

November 2, 2013
By Anonymous

Upon hearing the words Marijuana, Heroin, and Cigarettes our mind usually remembers our parents telling us about drugs and how it is bad for you. It had never even crossed my mind that any drug could actually be good for you. The drug I am talking about is Marijuana. Marijuana is flowers and leaves from the hemp plant. Over the course of a year, tobacco kills over five million people worldwide and Marijuana kills one person every hundred years.

Sanjay Gupta, a respected neurosurgeon, went back on his first uneducated guess that Marijuana had too many negative effects when he heard of Charlotte Figi, a patient of a rare disease, Dravet Syndrome. Dravet Syndrome results in having long-lasting seizures. Matt and Paige Figi, the parents of Charlotte, (Charlie), say that their daughter began to have intense, lasting seizures when she was just 3 months old. The seizures were so severe that her heart stopped many times per week. She had about 300 seizures per week. After using just a little bit of Marijuana, and some cannabinoids, her seizure number went down to only one a week. Today, Charlotte, age 6, is finally healthy. Her seizures only happen two to three times per month, almost always in her sleep. Not only is she walking, she can also ride her bicycle. She feeds herself and is talking more and more each day. “I literally see Charlotte’s brain making connections that haven’t been made in years,” Matt Figi said of his daughter. “I want other people, other parents, to know that this is a viable option.”

As you can see, Legalizing Medical Marijuana is a perfect option to help people with bad medical diseases.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece because I was enraged at the amount of people there were that were not aware of using MEDICAL MARIJUANA even if they had a disease.