FDA Restrictions | Teen Ink

FDA Restrictions

May 24, 2013
By Anonymous

Food production, as we already know, isn’t perfect. That’s why the government has the FDA. The FDA places restrictions on what is tolerable in food that’s sold. As many do know, there can be many nasty things that can make it into our food. Some might think that restrictions should be tighter to prevent more mistakes. In my opinion, I think that the current restrictions are enough to give the country a safe supply of food.

Current restrictions don’t allow for unsafe amounts of “extras” anyway. People still point out how there are still cases of non-intended objects in the food. And while, yes, that is true, those tend to just be accidents that would still happen even if there were tighter regulations. On top of that, the accidents are rare, and usually are noticeable which products are affected. It’s unlikely that you would eat a full colony of bugs without seeing it first.

We’ve had the current rules for a while, and we haven’t had much trouble with them. Others say that there are still cases of food poisoning and that the FDA should make it so that there is little to no cases of food poisoning. I respond by saying that most food poisonings are the fault of the distributor and not the company the processes it. This is due to how some distributors don’t correctly store their food.


Another reason is that the average human lifespan has gone up. Showing that the food we eat is healthy enough to let us live longer. Although it’s been said that it’s because of medical technology that the lifespan has increased, the food quality has also increased. Less cases of infected food are occurring. Less issues with what we eat allows the lifespan to increase.
My last reason for not changing the restrictions is the affect on pricing. By placing more regulations on food, companies would have to add onto their food cleaning process. This would make their costs go up, and eventually, the price of what you buy.
Some would say that it wouldn’t necessarily bring up prices, but adding new processes into a company’s production facility requires them to slow down production. Supply and demand would cause the company to raise their prices.
Again, I do not think FDA regulations need to change. They are fine just the way they are. And to those who disagree, most cases of mistakes in food are rare and unlikely to affect you more than once every once in a while. If there is anything that should be changed to increase the percentage of clean food, it should be better monitoring of how distributors store and handle food. That’s how most food poisonings occur.