Skinny, Not Anorexic This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

I’m a fourteen-year-old girl and I’ve been naturally skinny since I was a baby. I weighed 2300 grams when I was born. My mom was worried about my physical development when I was little, but the doctor said that I should be fine when I grow up. My mom is naturally skinny, too. We are both 5”1 and 82 pounds and size zeros.

I come from Taiwan, and most girls there are about as petite as I am. The average girl my age measures 5”2 and 90 pounds. It wasn’t too hard to find clothes that fit us. Most people have never even heard of obesity there.

When I came to America, a lot of people criticized me for how I look. A lot of people seem to think that all skinny people are anorexic. These kinds of stereotypes based on body images annoy me to no end. I also find it frustrating how difficult it is to find pants that would fit me here.

I eat until I’m not hungry anymore, but there’s only so much food my stomach can digest. I’ve never been on a diet or tried to lose weight. I exercise, though. I walk my dog or run on the treadmill once a week. I consider myself to have a pretty healthy lifestyle, so why does everyone judge me based on my appearance?

Even though you can see thin models in the world of fashion and commercialism, skinny people in real life are often mistaken for having an eating disorder. Nowadays, the fashion industry is banning size zero models. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t be aware of eating disorders, but is excluding thin people really a fair solution to the problem?

Unlike most teenagers, I’ve learned to like and appreciate my body. People are always saying that we should love ourselves for who we are. Well, skinny is just the way I am, and I’m not going to try to change it. A lot of people tell me I should gain weight. I find those comments frankly insulting. How would you feel if somebody tells you that you’re fat and unattractive? I get tired of trying to prove that I’m not anorexic all the time. If everybody is beautiful, then why can’t all body types be accepted in society?

benovelentme said...
yesterday at 1:03 pm:
Hi,  I personally love this. I'm a skinny African American girl and I often get criticized because of my body type. People are always telling me I need to eat more and that I'm skinny as a stick. It gets really annoying from time to time. But I notice that these comments only come from jealous, bitter, and angry big women who desire to be my size. I used to take offense but now I don't. I happy skinny. I love my body and how God made it. 

ChildofthemindThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 10 at 11:56 pm:
wow! this was really eye opening. I have always been against people judging people based on their weight but I never thought abot it like this. I never thought about what if someone was skiny and was mistaken for having an eating disorder. Thank you! oh and your article was really good :D

ycd981110This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 11 at 7:39 am :
Thank you!