Surviving The Teens | Teen Ink

Surviving The Teens

“Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one”, quoted by Hans Selye. There are three main stressors in teens lives and they are, social or peer stressors, family stressors, and sexual and self esteem stressors as written by cincinnati childrens hospital.
Social or peer stressors, teen peer pressure is the influence a teen's social group has on him or her. Peer pressure is a part of life for everyone, but it can be an especially strong influence during the teen years when peers are very important to a teen's identity. The desire to fit in with peers can be a very strong influence on teens. Peers influence most aspects of a teen's life, including how they dress, what music they listen to, and what kind of activities they are involved in. Peer pressure is not always bad. Good friends can encourage teens to do well in school, avoid drugs, alcohol, and other bad activities. Friends also give good advice, and help teens talk about their problems, and better ways to solve them. Negative peer pressure is when teens feel pressured to do something they know is wrong, such as smoking, drinking, doing drugs, stealing, or something they don't want to do such as cutting class or having sex. Teens may be tempted to give in to negative peer pressure because they want to be liked or fit in, they are afraid of being made fun of, or they want to try something other teens are doing. Negative peer pressure will be a part of a teen's life into adulthood, written by teen help.
Self esteem and sexual stressors, low self-esteem can cause depression or worsen existing depression. Gay and lesbian teens are two to three times at greater risk for depression and / or suicide than heterosexual/straight teens. It is suggested that approximately 30 percent attempted and / or completed suicides and are related to issues of sexual identity, written by cincinnati childrens hospital.
Family stressors, at home, teens are more likely to remember what their parents do, rather than what they say. There are a number of risk factors for depression and suicide associated with family stressors. A family with the history of depression increases a teens’ risk three to four times for getting depression. A family history of substance abuse also increases a teens’ risk for depression, as well as being a substance/drug user. A family history of suicide, high levels of family conflict, poor communication with parents, parental separation / divorce, and high pressure to succeed are also risk factors for depression and suicide. Serious or chronic medical illness of a family member can also contribute to depression in teenagers as written by cincinnati childrens hospital.
Social or peer stressors, self esteem/sexual stressors, and family stressors, as I wrote, most to all teens go through these stressors. I am a teen, so I've gone through these stressors and still go through them. You shouldn't take life too seriously, do what makes you happy, so you won’t be stressed.