Suicide and the Media

Sensitivity must be used when the media reports on teen suicides. Sounds obvious, but it doesn’t always happen. And when it doesn’t, you often find copycat attempts in the wake of a teen suicide. How does it happen? Impulsive teenagers are more prone to suicide. Studies have shown that this, combined with a glamorized ­account of the details and the nature of the suicide – the method used, and other titillating information – can cause a spike in teen suicide in the local area. And, when a famous person commits suicide, teen suicide rises on a national level.

Teens often romanticize adventure and living on the edge. According to Pamela Cantor, president of the National Committee for the Prevention of Youth Suicide, this can be a deadly combination when faced with a suicide. Cantor says, “Kids see that this is a glamorous way to die, a way to get a lot of attention that they couldn’t get in life.” In an interview, Loren Coleman, author of The Copycat Effect, said, “When the media comes in and does a graphic depiction of it – it doesn’t work to scare kids away.” He notes that teens even create a fantasy of what their funeral will look like. They imagine flying over their funeral and seeing how much they are missed.

In 2005, one young person in the United States committed suicide every two hours. That’s approximately 4,500 teen suicides! Of those, 100 to 200 teens died in clusters. In many cases, the additional victims were friends of the teen or identified strongly with something about his story reported in the news.

In Plano, Texas, where one of the first reported clusters occurred 25 years ago, a teen’s suicide was tragically followed by eight more teen deaths, mostly using the same method. Similarly, when a popular teenager in Bergenfield, New Jersey, ended his life in 1987, several of his friends killed themselves six months later. This was followed by two additional suicide attempts using a similar method. And, when the cluster was studied more carefully, an additional four teen deaths were linked to this first suicide.

Copycat and cluster suicides are played out on a national level when a famous person commits suicide. Media coverage of the event is nonstop, which often leads to more tragedy. For example, according to the New York Magazine article “A Dying Trend,” when Marilyn Monroe took her life in August 1962, the suicide rate in the following month rose by 12 percent, which was an additional 197 suicides.

This phenomenon is not limited to the United States. In 1986 in Tokyo, Japan, 18-year-old Okada Yukiko, a popular Japanese singer, took her life. Her widely reported death resulted in a staggering 31 teen suicides in the following two weeks, a phenomenon that the mass media in Japan called “the Yukko syndrome.”

So what can be done? Research has shown that the way the media handles the reporting of suicides can be critical in reducing copycats and clusters. A study was conducted in Vienna. Between 1984 and 1987, there were a large number of suicides by people who jumped in front of trains. The media coverage was overly dramatic and graphic. A campaign urging the media to change its coverage of these tragedies ­resulted in an 80 percent decrease in incidents of this type of suicide.

According to the Suicide and Mental Health ­Association International’s report on Suicide Contagion, the media should not sensationalize the event or glamorize the victim or act. Describing the method used should also be kept to a minimum. Another ­important step the media can take is to ­focus on the mental health aspects of the suicide. Just saying that the victim was “stressed” or “under pressure” makes it too easy for other teenagers to identify with the victim. Those who commit suicide often have long-standing mental health issues that are often ignored in the media coverage, which is a huge mistake.

Teenagers need to see that they are not “just like” the teen who committed suicide. Suicide is caused by many factors; it is not acceptable for the media to be one of them.

xxxsam33 said...
I don't think that teens committ suicide just because they want attention. They wouldn't go to such extremes to get it. They could be diagnosed with depression and/or feel like it is the only way out of a bad situation or a hard life.

BlahBlah135 said...
JUMP dfgsdfgsdf

SeerKnowsBest said...
you should read th1rteen r3asons why

ha52214 replied...
Mar. 2, 2011 at 7:39 am :
My FAVORITE book!!!!! LOVE THAT BOOK SOOOOO MUCH!!!! everyone should read it!!!! <3

RachelLW replied...
Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:39 pm :
"Th1rteen R3asons Why" is a really good book, but I don't think that it really shows the reality of suicide and what it's like to have someone you're close to commit suicide. I think that "Hold Still" is probably the best book to illustrate that

12333 replied...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 6:34 pm :
ehh i disagree.... it gives a good description of things leading up to it.... and explains to those whov neve rbeen there how someone can get dragged into thinkg about/ doing itt

SeerKnowsBest replied...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm :
i love hold still too they are both amazing

Israel70717 said...
I like this article. From reading this article i would have to say that the media shouldnt just put sucide deaths of teens. But they should put down something along the reasons why people get suicidle thoughts and ways to help them. or even put down someone who has been treated from that stage. I dnt have those thoughts and i hope i never do get them. But i got depression in my blood i think because almost all my family takes medicine for it. I have only had two times with it but i can just imag... (more »)

hiimaidann said...
Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:12 am:
This is an amazing article but this is such a sad subject when i read it i cant stop myself from crying

moneyman13 said...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:51 am:
I belive that people can have suicide thoughts  

Writer4Life_21 said...
my advice to the writer of this article is to make do something with this article! take it to major magazines and to the news and radio and every type of media there is out there. if you really want to do something about this horrible issue in the world, you must start my making your brilliant idea known!

There_Is_No_Forever said...
This is so true. There was a story on the local news in my area about a suicide recently and within weeks there were at least 3 suicides similar to the first. The media shows too much information and lets teens in particular think that suicide is an escape. they think their preventing it but they're really promoting it in some situations.

jhfkhd said...
Dec. 3, 2010 at 10:25 am:
Great job!!!

BieberLover4ever said...
I think this article is very helpful to people/teens who are trying to commit suicide, just because you have problems  dont mean they'll go away if you kill yourself...sometimes problems get even worse when people commit suicide.

want to live said...
Nov. 16, 2010 at 3:26 am:
Amen!  This is exactly right!

mom of teen said...
Nov. 16, 2010 at 3:24 am:
My son killed himself, and I know he didn't do it because the media made it look like the people that have done it get more attention...  He was medically ill!  If only his counselor could have figured it out, but he just said, "be happy" and "choose something else on the table of options".  Then he released my son, 3 months later, he killed himself!

KrystalT replied...
Dec. 3, 2010 at 3:38 pm :
im so sorry for your los...

phoenix replied...
Mar. 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm :
First of all, i am so sorry for your loss. It is a terrible thing to have to deal with. However, i don't think the author of this article in any way meant to suggest that every person who commits suicide, does it because of the media, instead i think that they meant to say that the way the media is reporting suicides is not a good one and that it has lead to a rise of suicides. It is always awful when people tell people just to be happy and do not understand that it is not always a choice. 

sallysunshine replied...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 8:22 am :
i do not care if ur son commited suicide .... thats hes WEAK problem

friendship said...
if you feel like you are going to kill yourself you may want to think of what you are going to miss out on and you should get help and no let your life go