Don't Take Away My Junkfood | Teen Ink

Don't Take Away My Junkfood

January 16, 2013
By TDL14 BRONZE, Belton, Texas
TDL14 BRONZE, Belton, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Your very own adventure is about to unfold"- Oak, Pokemon Blue/Red


It is insane that the government is doing away with all of the candy, soda, and chips in America, and just because 25 percent of Americans are obese. There are still the other 75 percent of people, and most find it outrageous when the store no longer carries king-size candies.

For starters, it is the principle of the thing. If the government can regulate what we eat and drink, could bigger things be a step away? Could they say “Hey? Since we control what are citizens eat, we should control their wages, kids, and Internet?” We have the freedoms set by the US Constitution, and controlling what we eat could very well be a violation of it.

Even worse, not all of us are fat and overweight. I am 78 pounds, and how am I supposed to gain the weight I need when I receive apples instead of fries in my so-called “Happy” Meal, and what will happen if only reduced-fat milk, chips, and popcorn are stocked? As mentioned before, only %12- %20 of us are overweight. The rest of us don’t need the calories displayed on a big screen like a radiation warning. The people overweight simply need to not buy fast food.

To make our dieting nightmares have nightmares, the government also has decided to put healthy foods on our plate. Every kid going through the lunch line is FORCED to put a vegetable on their tray. And how many kids are going to eat these vegetables? Most likely they will get tossed in the trash or given to somebody who likes to eat the hideous stuff, making it an unconstitutional waste of food.

In conclusion, the US is being a dictator when it comes to our diet. They won’t ban cigarettes or drugs but they will ban candy bars if they have too many calories. Talk about beating around the bush and minorities. We have the right to eat whatever we want and have our own idea of obesity.


The author's comments:
I am underweight and find the banning of junkfood to be highly upsetting.