War, Everything but Harmless | Teen Ink

War, Everything but Harmless

By richrmg BRONZE, Resica Falls, New Jersey
richrmg BRONZE, Resica Falls, New Jersey

“The sane man knows that he has a touch of the beast, a touch of the devil, a touch of the saint, a touch of the citizen. The really sane man knows that he has a touch of the madman.” G. K. Chesterton

If someone has ever told you that not everyone that goes to war is unharmed, they are WRONG. War is just a giant illness. Soldiers may be wounded physically, like losing their legs, one of their arms, or just dying. Those people are ALWAYS thanked for their service. Those people, though, are not the only ones suffering. What about the people that suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), with all the problems they will face returning from a war. PTSD veterans suffer worse than even those who have lost a lot more. Today so many problems can result such as homelessness, can’t keep a job, not all can hold a relationship any longer, even if they were married or in a steady relationship before they left and got deployed. Today in the military 11%-20% of American soldiers suffer from PTSD from just being deployed to Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom, 10% of Dessert Storm veterans suffer from PTSD, lastly 30% of Vietnam veterans suffer with PTSD. You may not think of those percentages as being high but what if someone you loved suffered with PTSD would you just give up, or would you keep fighting to try and help them?

“In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.” ~Jose Narosky