Clarity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By , Park Ridge, IL
For the first time in months, I allowed myself to break down. Tears streamed from my eyes and I did not stop them or wipe them away. Sobs racked my core as I doubled over, gasping for air. The solid ground that I once stood on had crumbled beneath my feet, leaving me in an endless freefall toward rock bottom. My friend stroked my hair and repeated that everything would be okay in a reassuring whisper.

The first day of sobriety after two months straight of being on something all the time was the most painful experience I had ever had, both emotionally and physically. Reality came crashing down around me.

The simple fact that I had hurt and driven away every good person in my life was staring me in the face, and for the first time, I was ready to stare back. I was ready to own up to the sick cycle of abuse that I had made of my life.

I was ready to get help. Ready to begin my recovery.

urworthit said...
Jan. 14 at 11:16 pm:
i really like this poem because this poem applies to lots of people, especially younger people. Stay straight! Keep up with the recovery

youreawesomeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 14 at 11:23 am:
Hey, this is good. I really like the raw emotion - you can't sugarcoat the harsh, but usually necessary, reality of going into any sort of treatment. The ending is has a hopeful feel to it, which is awesome. I hope you're doing well in recovery these days! (:

cmcass replied...
Jan. 14 at 11:41 pm :
thank you so much for your feedback, it really means a lot!