Clarity | Teen Ink

Clarity MAG

For the first time in months, I allowed myself to break down. Tears streamed from my eyes and I did not stop them or wipe them away. Sobs racked my core as I doubled over, gasping for air. The solid ground that I once stood on had crumbled beneath my feet, leaving me in an endless freefall toward rock bottom. My friend stroked my hair and repeated that everything would be okay in a reassuring whisper.

The first day of sobriety after two months straight of being on something all the time was the most painful experience I had ever had, both emotionally and physically. Reality came crashing down around me.

The simple fact that I had hurt and driven away every good person in my life was staring me in the face, and for the first time, I was ready to stare back. I was ready to own up to the sick cycle of abuse that I had made of my life.

I was ready to get help. Ready to begin my recovery.

This was a very recent event that took place and is what NA/AA attenders like to call a moment of clarity. While it was hard and painful, I got help and am in treatment. I hope other addicts/former addicts could relate to this piece.

cmcass BRONZE said...
on Jan. 14 2013 at 11:41 pm
cmcass BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
thank you so much for your feedback, it really means a lot!

urworthit said...
on Jan. 14 2013 at 11:16 pm
i really like this poem because this poem applies to lots of people, especially younger people. Stay straight! Keep up with the recovery

on Jan. 14 2013 at 11:23 am
madelinewohl SILVER, Randolph, New Jersey

"Well, I met an old man
Dying on a train.
No more destination,
No more pain.
Well, he said
"One thing before I graduate
Never let your fear decide your fate." -AWOLNATION, "Kill Your Heroes"

Hey, this is good. I really like the raw emotion - you can't sugarcoat the harsh, but usually necessary, reality of going into any sort of treatment. The ending is has a hopeful feel to it, which is awesome. I hope you're doing well in recovery these days! (: