Glee Covers Teen Suicide | Teen Ink

Glee Covers Teen Suicide

By Sydney Burton BRONZE, Averill Park, New York
Sydney Burton BRONZE, Averill Park, New York

The Fox Television Show Glee shows what it’s like to be a high school student. The up’s and down’s, the good’s and bad’s. One controversial episode covers the topic of teen suicide. Parental Watchdog groups have the opinion that this episode was too visual and realistic. But in reality, things like this happen everyday. This episode really shined a light on how selfish of an act suicide really is and Many television shows may of prevented some cases of teen suicide.

Television effects the way teenagers live their life day by day. Current Literature says not all television is bad, and can be of educational value. In the poorer neighborhoods, T.V. watching can be a teaching tool. High school shows have been shown to be helpful, giving students more understanding of consequences but parents always have the option of turning off the television.

Watching Television and realizing what you’re watching isn’t real affects how you watch T.V. If you watch and learn from it is one thing. imitating it is another. Seeing suicide on Television shows you that you shouldn’t do it. Suicide is a selfish act that does more damage than solves problems.

Showing suicide on T.V. is glorifying to some people, the easiest way out of their pain, almost exciting. Some people see their role model doing it so, they think they should do it too. Glee uses music to talk about things which attracts many teenagers. Media is drawing the teenagers in to show them the good’s and bad’s of growing up. Glee show’s people what’s right and what’s wrong and they make suicide out to what it is. Wrong.

Television can affect your life positively if you watch with an open mind and realistic thinking. Students are smarter than the parent groups give them credit for and are positive thinkers. Does T.V affect the way you live your life?

LinkinPark12 PLATINUM, Lincolnshire, Other

Work like you don’t need money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like no one's watching. ¦ I like change - but only when everything stays the same.

Yeah, I think it does. It's great that Glee's done a episode on suicide, as it really does happen, but it's negative. According to your article, Glee made this clear, which makes me think that TV can benefit sometimes. Good article.