I Went Numb | Teen Ink

I Went Numb MAG

By P0i3s0c6es GOLD, Richmond, California
P0i3s0c6es GOLD, Richmond, California

Bell’s palsy is a condition that involves the facial nerve. It means that either one side or the entire face cannot be moved. For me, it started with a numb tongue during summer vacation. At first, I thought it was because I wasn’t sleeping well. Then, as time passed, the condition worsened. My right ear started to hurt. No amount of sleep could erase the pain. It was there to stay.

The night we arrived in Buffalo, New York, my family and I took the opportunity to visit Canada. From the hotel, it would take just eight minutes to reach the border and the bridge that linked the two countries over the thunderous waterfall, Niagara Falls.

The air was cold when we reached the water’s edge. Before us was Rainbow Bridge. We could feel excitement stirring in our hearts; we were about to walk into Canada. My father led the way past the ­security gate, armed with only a jacket and camera. After him was my sister. My mother and I followed, bundled up in our sweaters.

In the middle of the bridge, the wind slapped our faces with phantom hands. Wave after wave of iciness stung and numbed our cheeks as we peered into the night at beautiful Niagara Falls. Blue, red, yellow, and green lights were cast upon the water, creating the perfect picture. A breathtaking sight.

However, the next morning, everything went wrong. I woke up with the realization that I could not blink my right eye. When I tried to brush my teeth, the right side of my mouth refused to open. When I blocked my left nostril, I could not breathe. When I tried to lift my eyebrows, only my left one obeyed. When I tried to eat, I bit my ­upper lip over and over. What was happening?

I told my parents. They thought I was joking – until they saw how difficult it was for me to eat lunch. Every time I tried to drink, the water dribbled out of my mouth. When I bit into my sandwich, I ­also bit my upper lip. I had to force my upper lip open with my fingers just to eat. The experience was humiliating, not to mention embarrassing.

My mother assumed it was a stroke or a brain tumor. As soon as we got home, she took me to the emergency room. The doctor told us that it was Bell’s palsy and its cause was unknown. She gave me a prescription for prednisone, a steroid that would reduce the inflammation in my facial nerve. After that, it was wait and see. However, that was unacceptable to my mother, and she immediately went on the Internet to look for other ways to reverse my facial paralysis. The only other answer she found was acupuncture, and so we took it.

Now, three weeks after I first experienced Bell’s palsy, my condition has barely improved. I have managed to regain some control over my mouth and, according to my mother, I can now lift my right eyebrow a bit.

Having this condition has taught me something; everything takes time. Some health problems do not go away as quickly as you would like, if at all. I can only wait and hope that the matter will be resolved soon. I can only wait.

boklenhle GOLD said...
on Feb. 8 2011 at 2:48 pm
boklenhle GOLD, North Platte, Nebraska

Our scars tell us where we have been, but do not have to dictate where we are going.

I hope you get better! Your article was amazing! Very well-written!

on Dec. 26 2010 at 10:32 am
Internal-Love PLATINUM, Queens, New York

Nothing's black or white, its all just a shade of gray---

TI "Live your Life" ft Rihanna

wow, i never even knew there was such a thing. So glad your better now!!

on Dec. 3 2010 at 11:41 am
CourtneyHammett BRONZE, Spartanburg, South Carolina
I love this article. It's well-written, and your story really touches my heart, to the point that I wish I could help you.
The only mistake I see is in the sentence, "The experience was humiliating, not to mention embarrassing." They are synonyms, though "humiliating" is usually considered a stronger word. Besdes that, this is perfection. Best wishes to you in your struggle.

on Jul. 26 2010 at 12:16 pm
darkangel09 GOLD, South Huntington, New York

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."-Voltaire

wow, I'm glad your getting. Thats amazing

on Jul. 26 2010 at 12:50 am
P0i3s0c6es GOLD, Richmond, California
One more thing, the acupuncture took only six weeks, but the herbal medicine... I'm still drinking it now XD

on Jul. 26 2010 at 12:48 am
P0i3s0c6es GOLD, Richmond, California
It was six weeks of acunpucture and herbal medicine. Though it might not sound appealing, it was far better than taking those pills that my doctor prescribed

on Jul. 25 2010 at 11:45 pm

wow i never knew there was such a thing...i read another coment and congrats on being cured of it! Thats wondeful! How did you get rid of it?

bluegrl95 said...
on Jul. 3 2010 at 10:04 am
i got Bells Palsy last year so i know how much it sucks and how humiliating it is to have it.

on Jun. 11 2010 at 4:32 pm
addicted2candy BRONZE, Little Rock, Arkansas
That's great! It really is a relief to hear that. See what happens when you stand strong and firm?!

on Jun. 9 2010 at 12:37 am
P0i3s0c6es GOLD, Richmond, California
and thank you to everyone else who's commented on my story. :)

on Jun. 9 2010 at 12:37 am
P0i3s0c6es GOLD, Richmond, California
Hi! Thank you so much for your comment. As of now, I have officially been cleared of Bell's Palsy for about three months. :)

on Jun. 8 2010 at 10:22 pm
I admire you for being able to share your story. I sincerely hope that things turn out better for you and pray that you will stay strong until they do. It's great that you can inform and move others all at the same time through your writing! Keep up the excellent work and never lose hope.

on Mar. 15 2010 at 5:53 pm
TheMaisinator BRONZE, Leeds, Maine

"Maybe we should develop a Crayola bomb as our next secret weapon. A happiness weapon. A beauty bomb. And every time a crisis developed, we would launch one. It would explode high in the air - explode softly - and send thousands, millions, of little parachutes into the air. Floating down to earth - boxes of Crayolas. And we wouldn't go cheap, either - not little boxes of eight. Boxes of sixty-four, with the sharpener built right in. With silver and gold and copper, magenta and peach and lime, amber and umber and all the rest. And people would smile and get a little funny look on their faces and cover the world with imagination."
~Robert Fulghum

That's scary. I can't imagine. This is very well written, and informative to boot. I'm intrigued by rare medical conditions, considering my own medical history, so thank you for sharing. You're so brave.

Joy said...
on Jan. 16 2009 at 12:20 am
Your descriptions were very emotional and well-written. I hope your condition improves. Best wishes.

on Jan. 14 2009 at 3:55 pm
hi jennifer, i hope you get well soon. your descriptive powers are good. i can feel the anguish when i read your article. take care and keep writing.

JohnO said...
on Jan. 6 2009 at 9:44 pm
I hope that your condition has improved by now; it does for many.

on Jan. 3 2009 at 6:38 am
i had a paralized sister and I know how hard it is, she could only move here eyes as far as external body mobility. Im so sorry for you and i can only hope you will get better. My thoughts go to you, good luck.