Small Inventions Make Huge Impacts | Teen Ink

Small Inventions Make Huge Impacts MAG

It's a tiny, brown box with a molded piece of plastic sticking out - it can make a huge racket when turned on ... this invention has aided me in overcoming a handicap ... it's a hearing aid or to be more accurate, two hearing aids. Many people actually do know what it is like to be unable to hear anything (when they have a cold and their ears are clogged up), but they still take this ability for granted. If hearing aids had not been invented, my life would be completely different.

When I was very young, maybe two years old, I was diagnosed with a sensorineural hearing loss. My mother cried when she found out - she wanted her son to be happy and able to experience everything life had to offer. I went to a special playgroup twice a week where a supervisor discovered I had taught myself to read. I then attended a school for the deaf from age three to six.

I remember looking around the room there. People talked and signed to each other. I had a best friend and I did very well in class. I fit in, but I didn't. I told my mother that I wanted to go to the regular elementary school with hearing people, because I felt more like a hearing person than a hearing-impaired one ... I didn't even use sign language! I lip-read and listened with my hearing aids. After visiting public school for a day, my mother agreed to let me go. Needless to say, I have functioned very well.

Many people don't even know I am hearing-impaired until they see my hearing aids. My girlfriend often forgets that I have any problem, and I feel fortunate that she is not biased against people like me. The only problem I have with this hearing loss is that some people discriminate against me. The fact is I am just as normal as anyone else. The only differences are that others need to speak up, and I have some help from my hearing aids. I appreciate and enjoy music. The next time you see hearing-impaired people, don't feel sorry for them - that just gives them an excuse to victimize themselves and hurt their own potential. Instead, encourage them and tell them that a handicap only hurts a person if he or she lets it. t

i love this so much!

on May. 27 2011 at 2:40 pm
Doylekinz BRONZE, North Canton, Ohio

Remember your Creator
in the days of your youth,
before the days of trouble come
and the years approach when you will say,
\"I find no pleasure in them\"- \"

I can really relate to this :]

I'm a hearing impaired 17 year old girl and have dealt with it since i was 3. it's hard, but it doesn't make me any different.