Foods To Help Keep You Healthy | Teen Ink

Foods To Help Keep You Healthy MAG

By Anonymous

   Do you feel weak and worn out halfway through your daily routine? Eating right can help boost your energy and make you feel stronger. Food is what makes your body perform to its fullest. There are many foods that give you a quick burst of energy including candy bars, cake, and ice cream These foods do not provide a constant energy source, and give no lasting power. Foods that are high in sugar give you a high that lasts about an hour and then takes two hours of exercise to burn off its calories. There are other foods that give you energy that continues for hours at a higher level. These are carbohydrates.

Carbohydrates are an important energy source that can be stored until needed by the body. Carbohydrate is stored in the liver and muscles as glycogen. When the body needs energy, it breaks off pieces of glycogen and releases it into the bloodstream. The saying "If it tastes good, then it is not good for you" is not always true. Here are some foods that are healthy, renew your energy, and taste good too.

Bagels are a great source of complex carbohydrates. These carbohydrates can be stored and keep your body running at an even level for hours. Bagels are an excellent quick, energy snack. You can bring a bagel anywhere and eat it when you get hungry or tired.

Tuna fish is loaded with proteins, which are necessary to keep you feeling alert. Too many carbohydrates without protein will leave you without energy. Tuna contains an amino acid that helps produce brain neuro-transmitters. These bring your brain to full attention and allow you to think clearly.

Fruits are a great source of energy also. The energy in fruits is in the form of complex carbohydrates. Strawberries are an especially rich source of Vitamin C. Bananas supply a large dose of potassium that helps maintain muscle and nerve functions and helps prevent overheating. The sugars in fruits are easily digested in the form of carbohydrates.

A balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, fish, and grains will keep you healthy, energetic, and alert during your daily routine.

It is recommended you exercise at least thirty to sixty minutes each day. The aerobic system of exercise uses glycogen, fats, and proteins for fuel sources. Exercise that depends on stamina and endurance uses the aerobic system and has been found to contribute more to cardiovascular health. Most daily activities are aerobic since they require little power and occur over prolonged periods. Aerobic exercise can include any combination of running, swimming, canoeing, walking, bicycling, or even raking or mowing the lawn. Aerobic exercise increases your stamina and keeps your body healthy. Anaerobic exercise like weight lifting helps build muscle, but does not necessarily benefit your heart or increase your stamina. Only exercise until you get tired. Try to go a little longer each day and you will notice the results in a couple of workout sessions.

Next time you reach for a candy bar as a source of quick energy, try having a bagel or fruit instead. Eating these foods, other carbohydrates, and protein-filled foods, you will feel a difference in your overall performance in a few days. tf