Another Part Of Me | Teen Ink

Another Part Of Me MAG

I stand up and walk to the front of the room with two others. Everyone is looking at us. We get our test and leave the room. "Where are they going?" I hear someone ask.

That was the scene in middle school the first time I left class to take a test in the Resource Room. In middle school I was diagnosed with a learning disability and I have a lot of trouble with reading and spelling.

I am not retarded or physically handicapped. If you look at me you would have no idea I had a learning disability. I look just like anyone else.

There are more and more people who are being diagnosed with learning disibilites. It is difficult to go to school and perform well when your reading and spelling abilities are not equal to your peers. When I am writing a rough draft and read it, sometimes I can't even tell what a word was supposed to be. And when I type on the computer and use the spell check, sometimes the computer does not even know what word I want.

My school has a great program for students with my learning disability. Thus, someone reads me my test and I get extended time on tests. On papers I don't lose points for spelling.

When others hear about my special treatment, they either think it is cool, want a learning disability, or think it is unfair. I do not get these considerations to make my grades higher. I have them so I can keep up with my class, and I still work really hard to keep up my grades up.

I am not complaining; I don't mind having a disability. Yes, it would make my life easier, but it is my life and I like my life. tf

QuirkyEyes said...
QuirkyEyes, Berkeley Springs, West Virginia

--"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

--"Teller of untruth, your trousers have combusted."

--"I'll die before I'm 25, and when I do, I'll have lived the way I wanted to." ~ Sid Vicious (a.k.a. John Simon Ritchie)

I was recently diagnosed with Dyscalculia, which is like Dyslexia, only with numbers.

Bethani GOLD said...
Bethani GOLD, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Life is perfect until you sit back and realize how boring it is without risks.

i have a learning disability 2 

Kwstar said...
on Sep. 1 2009 at 4:47 am
I know how it feels i have ld 2.