Overweight This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

In this world there are many overweight teenagers who have to fight be to equal. Not many people understand the problems that most overweight teenagers go through, unless you were once one of them.

I am an overweight teen struggling my way through high school. Not only am I fighting my way to be treated the same as others, but I'm fighting to be noticed for other than my large body. I'm not the only one. I see many who are overweight everyday fighting for what I am. We ask ourselves, "Why can't I be like the rest of them? Why can't I be thin?" We hear people, even our friends and family, tell us all the time that we have to start losing the weight. If only they knew how hard it was. Some of us try, but it hardly ever lasts. None of us is committed enough to try hard and the ones who do are finally happy.

It is also not as easy to date. You may like someone, but they may not like you because of your size. You may ask someone out on a date and they may say yes. but are you really happy? Do you and that person enjoy being laughed at by everyone, not being able to go anywhere or do anything without knowing that someone is saying something.

I have been overweight for most of my life and through the years I have been picked on and laughed at. But, I've learned to find ways to make myself happy. I have friends and family who don't care what I look like, who respect me for who I am, and not my large body. I still don't fit in with everyone and I still get laughed at, but at least I have friends who care. I am trying to lose weight and be thin. Maybe it will last, and maybe it won't. tf

wordnerd54 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 20, 2010 at 2:09 pm:
Oh God, I hear you. I wouldn't say I'm overweight, but I'm no stick. My attitude towards it is... Who cares? Which seems to be yours, as well by the end of the article. This really well written. Great job, and keep working hard. (If that's what you want, of course. Otherwise, as I said, who cares?)

Confused_scheherazade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 10:59 am :
Thank you for writing this. I am happy with the way I look, but sometimes people make feel a little ashamed that I'm not a few pounds lighter like I should be. I'm not fat and I'm not skinny, I'm just me. It's not a crime to actually like what you're eating or to not have a flat stomache. So stay strong.

Ms.Marsh replied...
Oct. 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm :

Military boarding schools are about more than just giving teens a sense of military life. They are valuable places where teens who are dealing with severe behavioral and emotional problems can get the discipline and personal attention they need to turn their lives around. Teens can deal with a wide range of psychological issues including anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol dependence, eating disorders, grief issues, low self-esteem, oppositional defiance, post-traumatic s... (more »)