Running Away | Teen Ink

Running Away MAG

By Anonymous

   When I consider running, I not only think about a sport, but I think of a challenge. It's an excellent way to spend my time. On the days I run, I feel better about myself than on the days I do nothing. Running gives me a sense of pride and self-confidence.

Running can be very enjoyable. When I get outside and taste the freshness in the air, it just makes me want to fly. It exhilarates me and I forget about tomorrow and want to live for the moment.

Running can be soothing. It somehow seems to relieve the stresses and pressures of everyday life. It allows time to enjoy the scenery and just think about things.

One of the main reasons that I run is that it presents a goal. I like to run as fast as I can for as far as I can, and push my limits. To some this might seem a little crazy, but I believe there's no greater feeling in the world than the feeling I get when I've run a race so hard that I cannot even stand up at the finish line. That way I know I have run close to my best.

But no matter how fast or how well I run, I believe I can always run better. Parts of the race flash through my mind and I think, Gosh, I should have passed that group in front of me, or If I just had run a little bit faster that mile. If I always believe I can run better, I get fired up to run an upcoming race. And I love to compete.

I love running with friends. It's a great time to talk and enjoy the time. If you are running with another person, and giving it everything you've got, you develop a respect for each other.

I have also had some really great runs, all alone. It relaxes the soul. It allows you to daydream. I become more aware of my surroundings. I notice the dull smell of the road, the taste of the air when the sun peeps its head out in the eastern sky. I allow more time to take in the view, whether it be majestic mountains, rolling hills, or the checkerboard of farmland in eastern Montana. The feel of your feet thumping the ground gets you into a rhythm and a bit of a trance. The continuous pitter patter and thump thump relax your mind.

Although running with people can be exciting, I also like to bring my dogs with me. They are much faster than any human, so I know if I can keep up with them, I can keep up with anybody. It gives me great satisfaction to watch my dogs savoring the fresh air and running with me.

Running can be fun, but you do have to work your way into shape before you reap all of the benefits, both mentally and physically.