Innocent Child | Teen Ink

Innocent Child MAG

My six-month-old sister,Kelsea, was recently diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis, a chronicillness that affects her breathing and digestion. Kelsea'sbody cannot kill bacteria in her airways; as a result, mucusforms, making it difficult to breathe, which affects herpancreas, making digestion difficult. For the first threemonths of her life, she ate constantly, but didn't gain anyweight. We didn't know what was wrong with her. The doctorkept saying it was because she was ill and she would grow.After a few weeks, Kelsea's breathing was so strained we tookher to the emergency room. When my mom told that doctor herodd symptons, she immediately suggested Kelsea might haveCystic Fibrosis. I was frightened and can remember my momholding the undersized, sleeping baby in her arms and saying,"What will I do if I lose my babygirl?"

Kelsea has to take medications throughoutthe day which costs $3600 a month, a small price to pay tostop mucus that would torment her.

It was arduous forour family to accept she has a terminal illness. Now, aftermany trips to the hospital, I believe our family is beginningto realize we haven't seen the last of the hospital and thatthis illness is a part of life we have to accept. I don'tthink my two younger brothers understand that every day weface losing my little sister. My step-dad is handling herillness pretty well. It took my mom two months to accept thather baby daughter has the disease that is the leading genetickiller of children (and young adults). The one thing thatkeeps us all going is knowing scientists are close to findinga cure, a hope that our family clings to every day.