Drug Abuse | Teen Ink

Drug Abuse MAG

A topic of concern for all teens is drug abuse. There is no other issue that hasaffected my life more deeply. Many of my friends have become involved with it.Right now some are in rehab, some are in jail, and others, unfortunately, aredead. Many haven't succumbed to the lure of drugs yet, but are on the same roadto these dire fates.

I have just moved from the suburbs around New YorkCity to a more rural area in upstate New York. I have found that these problemsexist here too, but not nearly as severely. On Long Island this problem affectseveryone - from the straight-A students to the dropouts. The drug of choice isnot marijuana, but Ecstasy. All these people know the horrors of it and thelong-term damage, but will tell you that the feeling is so good, they simplydon't care, that it is so much fun that it outweighs the future consequence of permanent brain damage or an early death. This upsets me.

The firsttime I ever encountered the drug, I was at a club with friends. One spent all hismoney on it and had none for water. He ended up becoming dehydrated and having aseizure, resulting in a trip to the emergency room. Another passed out on thedance floor and also had to go to the hospital.

Try to realize what youare doing and the consequences. Unlike other drugs, with Ecstasy it's notlong-term use that causes side effects, it only takes one pill.