Pilates This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

What is Pilates, you ask? It's a hip way to stay inshape and achieve a toned look. Pilates, designed to increase flexibility andimprove posture, balance and coordination, focuses on strengthening the body'score. The exercise method has been around for almost a century and is becomingincreasingly popular with teens. You can practice either at a Pilates studio, atthe gym or even at home. I was introduced to Pilates at a studio. I love it, andhave compiled a list of why practicing Pilates is important for teens. Iguarantee that after trying it, you'll know why it's good for you. After all, asJoseph Pilates said, "In 10 sessions, you will feel the difference. In 20,you will see the difference. And in 30, you'll have a whole newbody!"

Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Practice Pilates

1. Itbuilds confidence; exercising makes you feel better about yourself.

2. Endcouch-potato syndrome - exercising boosts energy!

3. Pilates is safe forteens with injuries as it focuses on alignment and mobility.

4. Pilatesimproves posture, which makes clothes fit better.

5. Pilates is a safe,effective way to stay in shape.

6. It increases strength and flexibility,which will improve overall sports performance(here is a great article about thebenefits of Pilates in the NFL, PGA and other sports).

7. Developsdiscipline - sign up for classes and go.

8. Improves your alignment soyou're always standing tall and proud.

9. Brings health-conscious friendstogether for fun after-school activity.

10. Pilates is a great stressbuster!