The Truth This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Hey you! Yeah, you. The one sitting in the cornerhiding behind thick glasses and heavy books. You're hiding from everyone becauseyou think that if they notice you, they will see the person you think you are - ageek/goth/loser/fatso/loner /dork. You think about dying. In fact, you know everysingle step you would take to disappear. You are thinking about it now. Walkinghome, opening the front door, slipping off your shoes, going upstairs to yourbathroom, opening the cabinet and peering at all those pills. All those pills. Itwouldn't hurt, you'd assure yourself. It's just swallow swallow, gulp gulp andyou're free. Free. Gone. It'll be like sleeping after a long day and never havingto wake up again. You'll never hear that alarm go off for another day ofhumiliation and hate.

I ask you, though - what is free? How do you know?What makes you imprisoned here? You're thinking, How will people react? Your momwill be wishing she treated you better, and your dad? Well, he'll be going aroundtelling everyone how proud he was of you and what a great kid you were. Were.

And what about your classmates? They'll be wishing they couldhave helped you and known you better. Don't smirk. What good is that going to doyou now? They are willing to be there for you right now, but you are too busythinking about how they will only care after you are gone. Gone.

Everyonewill be talking about what a great life you had ahead of you. You know what?They're right. But you can't come back. You can never find out if that boy whosits in front of you in science will turn around and start talking to you. You'llnever be able to joke with your roommates in college. Never. So what's buggingyou now? What is making your life so impossible? That F in math? That sucks. Geta tutor. Get extra help. Next time it'll be an A, if you're still around.

Okay, next problem. Nobody likes you? Maybe it's because you won't letanybody near you. Step out of your corner and say things. You're smart, whetheryou believe it or not. What about the poetry you write? Or that painting sittingon your desk? Show it. It's not that easy, you say with a sneer. You're right.Sometimes it may not be. And you know what? Swallow swallow, gulp gulp sure is.For what though?

Let's look into the future. You decide today isn't theday to leave. You scold yourself for being a coward and go to bed. The nextmorning you're getting off your bus for school and you know that guy from yourscience class? You bump into him. That poem you wrote on your way to school dropsfrom your hand. He picks it up. Asks if you wrote it, and the next thing you knowyou're talking, actually having a conversation. All you did was bump into him.And you know what else? He isn't doing too great in math either. He invites youto a study group he's having with some friends. Friends. You go after school.Suddenly you're smiling and laughing. That's right. You feel happy. The next dayyou ace that math test. All from a bump. Impossible, you think. That will neverhappen. Well, what if it did? What if when it happened you didn't look at thatcollision as a bruise on your elbow but rather a turning point?

If youhad an opportunity to start from the beginning and change everything around,would you take it? Then why don't you. Start over tomorrow. This bruise shallheal and everything will be alright.

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
:O. Wow......i love this. just...wow. Lol (:

BriarRose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
wow. Talk about hitting home.... amazing piece

Miranda said...
OMG! i loved this...it reminded me too much of my friend, but sometimes, i even feel like that. who doesnt? this is a great story, and it really does hit you were it hurts because most people know that it is the truth.