Teen Pregnancy: More Real Than You Think This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

May is National Prevent Teen Pregnancy month. Often an issue that is ignored, teen pregnancy needs to be addressed. Many youth receive inadequate or inaccurate information from peers, their main source of information. This makes teen peer education programs one of the most important ways to combat the incredibly high rates of teen pregnancy in the United States.

I am a member of a teen peer education program known as Project T.R.U.S.T., which stands for Teaching Responsibility & Understanding of Sexuality and Teen development. We work to educate teens on abstinence, birth control methods, sexually transmitted diseases and healthy relationships. We have over 40 hours of training to prepare us. We also host a teen clinic every week which provides youth the chance to ask questions.

Project T.R.U.S.T. also reaches out into the community through teen-run presentations, which are effective in reaching youth with accurate information about sexuality. Project T.R.U.S.T. also understands the importance of comprehensive sexuality education.

Abstinence-only education is a widespread form of teaching youth about the importance of waiting to have sex until marriage, yet this method does nothing for those who are either already having sex or are most certainly not going to wait until marriage [not to mention that it doesn’t prepare people for an informed married sex life]. For these teens, someone must help teach them how to protect themselves from sexually transmitted infections and unwanted pregnancies.

Comprehensive sex-education programs teach teens about the importance of abstinence as well as different forms of birth control and their effectiveness. Many abstinence-only programs have teens sign a pledge saying that they will remain abstinent until marriage. However, research shows that approximately 80% of teens who sign these pledges break them, and these teens are at a higher risks of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections because of their lack of education. Abstinence-only programs also ignore the LGBTQ community (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning), which comprehensive sex-ed programs are working to incorporate.

May 4 is National Day to Prevent Teenage Pregnancy. Especially on this day, but throughout the month of May, we must remember the importance of educating teens on pregnancy prevention.

appletiv said...
Sept. 13, 2013 at 12:57 am:
Very nice information in this site.

Brooklynn said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm:
yeah i wouldnt want a kid now, i have a 4 month old sister and she drives me INSANE! she is cute and fun yes, for the first 2 weeks. then you hear them crying at night and you have to change diapers that sometimes seems like they dont want the poop in them, no the poop wants to be all over the kids back. YUMMY. and i have also learned how fragile life is. every time she coughs i jump up to make sure she is okay because i couldnt stand to lose her. she has brought joy into my life but she also br... (more »)

robrobrobin11 said...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 1:57 pm:
Hey I like this article. It's very informed. Yesterday during physics class someone got a text saying one of my childhood friends was in labor, boy how things change. I wrote this article I think you might like, check it out. "From Behind Whose Eyes...?" I wrote it to provoke discussion about teen pregnancy and the tendency of others to judge based on misconceptions. Have a looksie ;-) Keep writing and good luck!

H0n3yb33803 replied...
Oct. 23, 2010 at 1:05 pm :
i wouldnt wnt a child at no young age tatz y people make protection these days do noot yall teen agers every listen to some one

Littleabby15 said...
i could not agree more.

practicerandomkindness said...
Jun. 16, 2009 at 8:54 pm:
I think chadsmith is totally wrong, and u r right. I mean, who wants a baby when they're still in school, or aren't prepared to have one?!

JaceAce713 said...
Feb. 19, 2009 at 12:56 am:
That's the scientific outview. Now think about how in the real world, these girls are in school. Having a kid young could ruin the mother's life. If they had the proper education, maybe that wouldn't happen.

chadsmith said...
You are wrong on so many levels. The human body becomes able to reproduce at around the age of 12, and it is a scientific fact that we should be producing babies as young as possible. Another key fact that you neglected to talk about was the fact that we must strengthen the human race by means of selective breeding. Selective breeding would entail using Darwin's theory of natural selection, and weeding out the inferior traits that lead to diseases. Because with modern health care advances, weake... (more »)

robrobrobin11 replied...
Feb. 9, 2010 at 1:55 pm :
Do you really think we need more humans? we're doing enough damage as it is. There is no definitive proof that we were meant to be the dominant ones.

apocalyptigirl replied...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 10:02 pm :
Chadsmith, most of the world has babies at the ages of 13-15, but that's b/c most of the world is lucky to reach the age of 40. In this culture, women serve many other purposes besides just bearing and raising the next generation. And don't give me the genetic diversity argument. There are 6.5 billion of us. We're so diverse we're wiping out other organisms to make room.

skb1234 replied...
Mar. 26, 2011 at 12:06 pm :
uhmm take a look at teen mom, happy couples get prego and then when the baby comes, everything comes spiriling down, the boy leaves the mother to fend for herself trying to juggle a job, school, familiy, friends, and on top of all that, a child to raise. The boy that left her goes onto another girl gets her prego and voila we have the same feeling of dejavu and it keeps going until he feels like settiling down, and taking responsibility for his childish actons and decides to grow up and be a man... (more »)

Emmy88 replied...
Jun. 17, 2011 at 11:15 am :

In some undeveloped countries, when a woman has a child she is NEVER allowed to go to school or have a job ever again. If women in these countries had more kids and no means of support if the father leaves or dies, those kids are going to die and so is she. She will have no education or any means of support if she gets pregnant at a young age!

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 11:00 am :
Just because we can doesn't mean we should. Can we release nuclear bombs? Yes. Should we? No. Anyway, getting pregnant can and does alienate a lot of girls.