Dear Mother This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

all the doctors i’ve met
and all the pills that i’ve bought
could never add up to the issues you've got.
at the second i’m happy
you make me think that i’m sick,
but i’m not a little girl anymore,
i know it’s a trick.
i’ve got three words for you: Munchhausen by Proxy
it’s not my illness, it’s yours.
So do I have diabetes?
am i really asthmatic?
is it me that is sick?
or is it you who’s pathetic?
now i know why Medicaid wouldn’t pay
for all my prescriptions,
but a few hundred dollars
paid for your addictions.
obsessed with my pain,
you laughed as i squirmed.
now i’ve stopped suffering
’cause now i have learned

6605clj said...
I feel the same way towards my mom. I understand your point of views on things as a kid you couldn't control. It's the small things that a mother can do to make her daughter feel safe. My mom isn't the best mom,but she guides me in the best way she can. My best line from this poem is "now I know why Medicaid wouldn't pay for all my prescriptions, but a few hundred dollars paid for your addictions."

knd071 said...
Oct. 26, 2010 at 9:23 am
I can relate to this, as far as my own mom is concerned. The way she makes me feel is similar to that of the focus of your poem. I feel attached to the poem now, and It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there that share these feelings, whether or not this poem is based on a personal experience or a fictional one. Either way, I love this. Keep writing.

toxic.monkey said...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 7:58 am
this is an expressive and clear poem. i like it very much :)

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
 This is amazing. This poem really touched me. You definitely should write more poetry.

Shawna L. said...
This is really, really good. but it's sad. I'm sorry for your suffering.