Turner Syndrome This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Anyone looking at me would see a normal 17-year-old girl with blond hair and blue eyes. Those taking a closer look would recognize that I barely reach 5'2". What my physical appearance does not reveal is that I have Turner syndrome, but then, most people don’t have the faintest idea what that is. Turner syndrome is a chromosomal condition that occurs in women and involves complete or partial absence of the second x chromosome. While I may not be one in a million, I am one in 2,000. Short stature is one of the most common characteristics associated with the syndrome, but serious heart and kidney problems and even hearing loss can occur.

When I was diagnosed at 12, my whole life began to make more sense. I never understood why when the rest of my classmates were growing like weeds, I remained a seed stuck in the ground. I had always struggled being the shortest girl in my class and was known as “Midget” or “Shorty.” After watching the classic “Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory,” I became known as Oompa Loompa. Though these names hurt me deeply, I refused to let my classmates dampen my enthusiasm for school and learning. I got involved in lots of extracurricular activities, though they sometimes posed problems. Because girls with Turner syndrome tend to have poor coordination and perception, my athletic ability was nonexistent. I loved to sing, but it proved difficult to share a microphone with a group of girls seven inches taller. Despite this, I continued to drive myself to prove that heart and brains could make up for lack of height.

Once diagnosed, I was given a treatment plan that involved daily growth hormone injections. I am the type of person who worries about a doctor’s appointment for weeks in advance, so getting used to injections every day - and even worse, giving them to myself - was a true test of my character. However, I jumped this hurdle and after five years, I have grown 11 inches. This was an amazing response and I consider it my own little miracle.

I am not upset that I have Turner syndrome. It has molded my character and transformed me into the person I am today. I have learned that you need to rise above the negative in your life. Eleanor Roosevelt once said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” This statement has always inspired me and so I will journey on to the next stage of my life with pride and self-confidence.

scenechic said...
yes it is hard for us but as she said in her article she never let it get her down. i don't either. my neices and nephew's love that im short because i seem more like a child (im 17) lol but don't let it get you down, think positive and it will work in our favor someday. :)

Doggy124 replied...
May 27 at 9:53 pm
I'm 4'11 7/8" and I'm 14

scenechic said...
!!!! wow this sound's a lot like my diagnosis and hardships the thing is i was diagmosed at birth and im  4' 11" im proud to be a "shorty" or "oompa loompa" or "midgit" cuz it's unique and we can always banned toether and show this world we are fun and we have spunk(: keep up the good spirits and lets show this world we can lead normal lifes(:

scenechic replied...
p.s i have ts too(:

Apocalypse18 replied...
Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:45 am
you are awesome.

steffdawgg replied...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 9:35 am
Haha way to say it. I'm four ten, and although I haven't been diagnosed with TS, the nicknames are definitely there! Haha ypu learn to just accept it, and being short DOES have it's advantages

scenechic replied...

thank you apocalypse18 that means a lot me me. :) 

steffdawgg dont worry, as i have said, BE PROUD :D we are not short anyways, we are fun sized xD 

steffdawgg replied...
Exactly;) haha

scenechic replied...
:) we will show them

iamwhatsername replied...
I'm 4'9, and in high school. I don't have turner's syndrome (don't think) but i am so short and get made fun of a lot. But whatever! Funsized is the best!

Scenechic replied...
Jan. 25, 2012 at 8:59 am
yeah funsize is better :)

Brooklynn said...
hey i give you kudos for having the spirit you do, and thanks for writing this because  your story sounds just like mine. Im also 5'2" and i have horrible coordination i will have to get checked for this. So thank you,

to.hold.the.sun This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ironic; I just learned about this in Biology. Anyway, you are definitely an inspiration. It makes me realize that some of the problems that I'm facing are very petty compared to this. Keep on going, girl, especially when you can write like this!

Cosmicpupp said...
u go girl! the way u handled having turner syndrome is amazing. its people lyk u tht inspire me :)

NothingButAli This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 8:42 am
Thank You for writeing this. Im glad that someone had the courage to write about this going unknow Hormonal and cromosonal disorder. My little sister had tunners and althought she didnt live to be past eight months she was still extreamly bright for haveing these problems. Just Keep it up and let yourself shine because your special in many ways. Dont let people keep you down. (:Good Work! (:

dianepoon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 16, 2011 at 3:28 am

Girl, I'm 15, Asian and I'm only 155cm tall.

Don't worry.

WeLiveForScarsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
The other day, my class just learned about Turner's syndrome. I congratulate you for being so courageous and looking towards the beneficial not the bad!

Natty said...
Thats the way to go . 

Medina D. said...
to be honest, i've never had a height problem because i was always TALLER but i know how hard it is to have a disease and not let it completely loom over your enthusiasm. But it was very interesting reading this article. There IS hope.

idey said...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 8:44 am
Are you 5'2" after the growth hormone? It does not seem extremely short to me, but 4'3" could draw attention. I did not know about Turner's and appreciate the instruction. Thanks.

cathey304 said...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 12:36 am
I am 5'2" and all of my friends are too. But we are 40yo now. We never got teased. I think girls seemed to get taller thru the years. In time it won't bother you. I used to wish I was tall and thin. But you learn over the years you are what you are. And life is the same weather you are short or tall. My husband is 6' 4. I reach his arm pit. My oldest daughter is 12yo and taller than me. As time goes by it won't matter how tall you are. There are so many more important thing to come.Fam... (more »)