20/2000 to 20/20 Within Five Minutes | Teen Ink

20/2000 to 20/20 Within Five Minutes

By Farhan Bader BRONZE, Ellicott City, Maryland
Farhan Bader BRONZE, Ellicott City, Maryland

Wearing glasses and contacts your entire life can be a hassle. Imagine changing that in a ten-minute surgery. Laser Assisted In-Situ Keratomileusis (LASIK) is a refractive eye surgery that was introduced in 1991. Since then, more than 12 million patients have undergone LASIK eye surgery. LASIK is a combination of two older surgical procedures, Radial Kerotomy and Automated Lamellar Keratoplasty, including the laser and flap method. There are two types of LASIK procedures, blade and bladeless. Blade requires a microkeratome instrument used to cut a thin flap on the cornea; the thin flap causes a hinge, and then a laser, which is adjusted by the doctor, makes small incisions. Bladeless or all-laser LASIK is done without using the microkeratome, instead there is a laser that makes the small flap.

Many teenagers are dependent on glasses or contacts, and contemplate getting LASIK once they turn eighteen or nineteen. However, in order to minimize complications there are few steps that should be taken. Although the success rate is high at 95.5%, if you do not take the right approach then there could be a greater likelihood of problems occurring. In addition, being a good candidate for LASIK will make a difference.

The first step is to ask yourself is LASIK worth it? LASIK is expensive, so it should be well thought out. All-laser costs about $2000-2500 and LASIK with the microkeratome costs $1500-2000. Since procedures are expensive, and if your prescription is not too extreme, it’s not vital that the cosmetic surgery should be done.

The second step is to see if you are good candidate for the procedure. Being a good candidate takes many things into account, such as age-18 years or older, prescription, -should be stable for at least two years, no major eye infections, and free from autoimmune disorders, corneas cannot be abnormal or scarred, pupils must be an appropriate size, and the cornea thickness-in order for the flap to be created safely. Adhering to these conditions will keep complications limited.

The third step is to find a doctor and a practice that has been proven to have a high success rate. Extensive research should be done prior to the LASIK eye surgery to select the best doctor for your situation.

When you have found a good doctor, determined you are a good candidate, and done extensive research, you are ready to undergo the surgery. Listen to the doctor’s instructions prior to the surgery because they are critical to obtain positive results. Complications, although not common, can occur such as halos, double vision, flap irregularities, and over/under correction. If you experience any of these problems you must contact your doctor immediately.

Now you know what to do in order to have a successful LASIK eye surgery. If you’re tired of waking up and seeing everything blurry, have had glasses for years, and know you’re a good candidate for LASIK then it’s perfect for you.