Running Fast | Teen Ink

Running Fast MAG

By Anonymous

     Fasting without food or drink (including water) from two hours before sunrise until sunset during the long days of October is difficult; however it is even more difficult when, in addition, I need to run five miles a day and perform well in school. As part of being a Muslim, I am required to fast for 30 days during the Islamic month of Ramadan. However, as a varsity cross-country runner, I also need to practice during this month. So I was presented with the decision either to run cross-country or to fast for

Ramadan.

As I contemplated the effects of each, I had an epiphany - I could both fast and run. Ramadan landed on a critical time in my cross-country season: the month before the state meet. That meant I would not just be required to fast and practice, I would need to fast and practice hard in order to get in shape for the sectional meet so that we could make it to state. I was the number four varsity runner, so my team depended on me.

During the weeks leading up to Ramadan, I tried to pack on as many calories as I could, so I would have some fat stored to provide me with the energy required to run hard at practices. I knew that fasting, running, and studying for school would be difficult; however my only option was to succeed. I decided that I wouldn’t look at these commitments as setbacks, but instead as challenges that would make me stronger.

I prepared myself for the month of Ramadan, so when the first day came, instead of focusing on not eating or drinking, I focused on my ancillary objectives - running and school. Two hours before sunrise, I woke and ate a large, high-calorie breakfast and drank almost two liters of water to use for the rest of the day. I ran at practice that day, albeit in a semi-dehydrated state. When I finished I felt like I had accomplished something. Immediately after sunset, I ate and drank as much as I could, which wasn’t much because my stomach had shrunk during the day in reaction to the lack of food. I had to force myself to eat again later in the evening to compensate for fasting. I felt exhausted again that night when I went to sleep, but because I felt so satisfied, I decided to continue fasting and running for the rest of the month. Although some days were more difficult than others, I kept a positive mindset and followed my plan.

I managed to maintain solid grades in school and still ran well at meets. Although we didn’t make it to state, we placed third at sectionals. And I fulfilled my commitment to my team and to my religion.