My Schizophrenic Sister | Teen Ink

My Schizophrenic Sister MAG

My 13-year-old sister has schizophrenia. This is uncommon for someone so young. Usually the diagnosis is made when the person reaches adulthood, but my sister has always been one to get a jump-start on things. Although I am the older sister, she is often the one to take the first step, try something new, and risk it all. She learned to ride a bike when she was four, while I was too afraid to try until I was eight.

Our family has had to jump over our share of hurdles. My sister and I, as well as our younger brother, are adopted. We share the same mother, who was also diagnosed with schizophrenia (in addition to other mental illnesses), but we have different fathers. I have always considered my adoptive family to be my real family.

Our adoptive mother is no spring chicken and also has multiple sclerosis, which has made it extremely difficult for her to raise kids, never mind one who has a mental illness. Nevertheless, she has done an amazing job. Without her, our family would fall apart. She is the one who remains strong through all the hard times, but of course, she worries about my sister.

Since she was eight, my sister has wanted to be a boy. She likes boys and is not a lesbian. She is simply, literally, boy crazy. This is when there was first talk of her having schizophrenia.

The stereotypes that surround those with schizophrenia are often that the person is extremely violent and “walks around carrying a hatchet.” Schizophrenia is also often confused with multiple personality disorder, but someone with schizophrenia does not have two different people inside the head. A schizophrenic’s perception of reality gets distorted so that sometimes they hear voices or think they are a famous person, like Napoleon.

My sister’s particular distorted version of reality has to do with food. She believes she will become sick if she eats or drinks anything. When she is told that food is beneficial and will not harm her, she replies, “I know, but my mind is telling me that I’ll get sick. You don’t know what it’s like: I want to eat, but I can’t.” So not only is she schizophrenic, but she’s also anorexic. Being thin might have something to do with her obsession, but her psychiatrist explained that her mental illness could have been directed at anything. It just happened to be food ... this time.

I know that I am the one who will look after my sister for the rest of her life. We have eight older siblings, but none can deal with my sister’s craziness. So, I am in for a long and difficult life, but I am not complaining. I love my sister, and along with being the craziest person I know, she is also the sweetest. She is quite intelligent, which people do not always see because they focus on the abnormalities of her personality. When I was in first grade, I would practice addition and subtraction with my mom in the car. Sitting upon her throne of knowledge (a.k.a. her car seat) my sister would answer while I was still counting on my fingers.

I have laughed with my sister and cried for her. I have played dress-up with her and watched as she swore off dresses forever. I have flung food at her during food fights and have tried in vain to get her to drink a measly cup of water. I have hugged her and hurt her. I have told her stories and listened to the stories she mistakes for reality. I love her, and I will always hate hearing people jokingly say they are “schizo” or refer, in jest, to those people who are plagued with this illness. That is what it is - an illness - like cancer or Alzheimer’s. It is an illness that should not be shunned or made fun of but understood and, eventually, cured.

outsidethebox SILVER, Nassau, Other

Be yourself and above asll let who you are, what you are, what you believe through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.

I shed tears this is simply lovely you are a wonderful person.

whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
this is amazing! my dad's sister has schizophrenia and alothough it can be tough to be around her at times we all love her. You sound like an amazing person and your sister does too :)

loulou16 BRONZE, Wynnewood, Pennsylvania
This is amazing

writerinfinity PLATINUM, Arlington, Texas
Wow.....powerful. You're a brave and amazing person. Keep that good attitude. You'll do great things. :)

on Feb. 3 2011 at 1:17 am
KristyLynn_TM SILVER, New City, New York

Beware average women for they will have average love.

I hope I can be as brave and willing to do whats right like you do should I face a personal hardship like your own in the future. Thank you. I won't joke about this illness, their.

on Jan. 18 2011 at 11:41 am
cinderella PLATINUM, BEVERLY HIILLS, California

life is a book, you can write or read, but what ever you do keep flipping the pages

your a gud person and your sisters sounds amazing yu wont regret helping her out :)

Dragonscribe BRONZE, West Lafayette, Indiana

"A Person's a Person no Matter how Small"
and
"A Rose by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet"
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

sad... you are so brave.

nannyj08 said...
on Jan. 12 2011 at 8:02 am

this article touched me, and  i have a father that is schizophrenic, and i worry every day of my life, whats going to become of me?

i am so proud of you for staying with your sister, and helping her through ife being there for her. My father got turned down by every person he new, (even my mother after a long while) I feel like somethings missing without him, and i wish i could be with him like you are with your sister. you inspiire me.

Duckie430 said...
Duckie430, Riverside, Rhode Island

“The secret to life is being who you are and being happy with who you are.”
"Whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger."

this is an amazing article. my uncle is schizophrenic, & i am always so annoyed with the sterotypes of the disease & making fun of something that is really serious. great job on explaining the truth about schizophrenia.

BurningRose SILVER, New Fairfield, Connecticut

I dunno.

this was great:) i am adopted also and i really think this was great. i can connect to this because my sister has Canavan disease i hope you and your sister are well. <3

HeartbrokenAngel BRONZE, Cottonwood, California

"Do you know how much I wish I could go back in time and change so many things? The first one is you."

This is an amazing article. I have freinds with this illness and in fact I'm living with one at the moment. It really puts it out there and enlightens people on how schizophrenic's are and the things that they sometimes do. They have no control over it and the fact that other people make fun of them isn't right. I agree with you when you say that people should not shun this illness or make fun of people with it. And there should be a cure, just like any other.

and
and
"God helps those who help themselves"

This is a beautiful article and I agree that schizophrenia is not something that makes a person insane, or retarded, or all the stereotypes people think it is. It's just an obstacle in their life, like a disease/illness they need to overcome. I applaud you for coming forth to take care of your sister and wish you a long and happy life. God bless you!

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Not something you read about every day, very nicely written.

websong said...
This is a very helpful article. Im trying to write a children's book for peers of schizophrenics to ease the stigma and to help with understanding the disorder versus the person. Thanks for sharing.

Happy said...
on Sep. 8 2010 at 5:48 am

My older sister too has schizophrenia, and at one stage thought i was persecuting her in the most bazarre ways. So i TOTALLY understand your hurt and frustration. My sister was seeing a counsellor for years, i knew there was a serious problem, but noone in the medical profession acknowledged it. Her hatred towards me, stopped her involving me in her treatment. Eventually in 2002 (her having suffered complete mental torture for at the least 5 years) she was sectioned under the Mental Health Act here in the UK. The medication took afew years to really kick in properly, but she is now a healthy lady, who is planning to marry in the near future. Although i believe there are still some of the delusions with her, she hides them from the outside world to protect herself. I never gave up on her and knew eventually someone would be able to help her, and thankfully they did. Having said that had she been diagnosed earlier she wouldn't have suffered so much, and been able to live her life. I can only begin to imagine the emotional and mental turmoil she has suffered. Even now she has to deal with the stigma, and people treating her differently. Her friends no longer ask her opinions, she is scared of certain situations. But, compared to how she was, she is a new person, and living a full and functionall ife.

I wish you luck in your search for help for your sister, and for yourself, as i know how hurtful it can be. Just know that this is not hurt it is the illness.

on Sep. 2 2010 at 6:56 am
ahhhhhhhhhhh  spider monkeys are cuming in the air tonight

SpyceChik GOLD said...
on Sep. 2 2010 at 4:49 am
SpyceChik GOLD, Accra, Other

If it must be done, it must be done well.

This si a very good article., it's helped me to understand better what this illness is about... you must be really strong to look after your sister like that. God bless you,  Keep up the good work.

avantgarde GOLD, Stillwater, Minnesota

I write for the same reason I breathe...because if I didn't I would die. --Isaac Asimov

Wow, that was very beautiful! I love the support you and your family has for her, despite the difficulties you might encounter. This article was enlightening, great job! :)

on Aug. 11 2010 at 3:21 am
JessicaBee BRONZE, Bellevue, Washington

" To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment "

This is beautiful, & I'm sorry for your sister's illness. My mother also has multiple sclerosis, so i know how that feels. But this is a very very good article, good job :)

newyork said...
I like your