America Get's Bigger While the Government Stands By | Teen Ink

America Get's Bigger While the Government Stands By

By Johnathan Shanklin BRONZE, Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Johnathan Shanklin BRONZE, Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Over the years, obesity has been an increasing problem in our world, especially in the United States. Obesity results in over 300,000 deaths a year. The youth and adolescents of the country contribute greatly to the rising number of citizens diagnosed with obesity. Studies have shown that a child who is obese between the ages of 10 and 13 has an 80 percent chance of becoming an obese adult. Many citizens agree that the United States government should have no say in their diets, and that it should continue to remain a laissez-faire policy. The government should have some say in this situation, because the results of the government having absolutely no say in what is being given to the public can be extremely detrimental.
The government should have a say, because even though we can make decisions on our own as individuals, our choices not only affect us but also the people around and connected to us. A mother who chooses a diet and lifestyle that leads to obesity will significantly affect the lives of her husband and/or children. If one parent in a family is obese, there is a 50 percent chance that their child, or children, will also become obese. The percentage of children and adolescents that are obese has doubled since the 1970s.
The government has already begun to address this problem with the youth in the schools throughout the country. They do not have the power to tell us what to eat or when we can eat, but they can manage what is prepared and offered. By going into the schools and beginning to regulate the kinds of food being served, is a significant start to handling the obesity problem. The next step for the government would be to make sure that all the schools throughout the country follow this plan, including private schools too. They can also regulate what is being distributed in government funded organizations, or businesses. This would be possible through the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
Obesity is not only a result of eating the wrong types and amounts of food, but also a lack of exercise. The government could also ensure regular exercise of its citizens. This can be accomplished by requiring students in grades K-12 to take part in a physical activity for a full hour, every school day until they graduate. This would apply to all who are mentally and physically capable. Students with autism, Down syndrome or similar handicaps would have separate but similar exercises to complete that would be most beneficial to them. By doing this at an early age it will hopefully encourage the kids to continue a similar lifestyle throughout their lives, and teach their children to live by the same lifestyle.
Studies done by scientists and doctors prove that exercise alone, without any dietary changes will result in limited effects on one’s weight. Therefore, it must be well-balanced between the two. If the government moderately regulates the diet and exercise of the youth it will decrease our nation’s obesity rate, because today’s youth is the next generation of this country. Supervising and administering the exercise of the elderly, or citizens entering this point, would be impractical because these citizens are nearing death and to try to make them change their dietary lifestyle would take more time than they may have left to live. In order to lower the number of citizens that become obese, the government must have some say in our diets and amount of exercise.