Allergies: The New Epidemic | Teen Ink

Allergies: The New Epidemic

December 18, 2011
By kylllieeeee BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
kylllieeeee BRONZE, Melbourne, Florida
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Allergies are the new epidemic that is affecting many children, teens, adults and the elderly. Allergies are caused by the body’s allergic response to anything, whether it is smelled, ingested or touched. The immune system attacks that foreign and thus the war begins. However, because of this war with your body, it is now causing us to live in fear of allergic oanaphylacticic reactions.
Many teenagers who suffer from this terrible condition, and are facing life or death situations are finding it hard to place trust into the schools nurses. Sometimes those students don’t have that five spare minutes to get to the clinic to receive epinephrine or an antihistamine. Now, here comes the real problem. The school district decided ten years ago that students weren’t allowed to carry medications on them at school or on the school grounds. Benadryl, which is key to a hypoallergenic persons life is not allowed to be carried. This puts tremendous stress on that person and can cause their condition or allergies to worsen. It is crucial that each school board takes into consideration every child’s situation and needs to make sure that safety is the number one priority.