Cure For Cancer | Teen Ink

Cure For Cancer

December 9, 2011
By Alex Coulter BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
Alex Coulter BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Many people today know that cancer is a deadly disease, but most people don’t know exactly what cancer is. This is why I am here. In this article, you are going to learn things about how deadly cancer is, that many people don’t know.

For example, did you know that there are over 200 different kinds of cancer, and not even half of them are cured. Even then there is still no 100% cure, such as a pill or liquid medicine to take. Sure you can cure cancer if you catch it early, but not everyone does. Every 4 out of 10 people are diagnosed with cancer, but only 4 out of 10 patients diagnosed with this deadly disease catch it early. That leaves 60% of everyone with cancer marked for death.

So why are so many people dying, and why hasn’t this disease ceased, even after battling it for over 100 years? The answer is simply because cancer is a very hard disease to cure. Scientists have found many different cures, but one of them stood out all above the rest. However, before you know the cure you must understand how cancer works.

Cancer is a disease in any area of the body, hence the many different kinds of it. It starts out as a single virus, taking the regular route through out the body. It attacks cells, then those cells divide into two, so now there are two infected cells. Then those cells divide into four, then eight, and so on.

However what makes cancer so unique, is that after it begins multiplying the blood cells, it starts to attack the incoming white blood cells. White blood cells are the cells sent by the immune system, to catch the disease and prevent the cell from multiplying. If the white blood cells are being taken down along with the blood cells by cancer, then no part of the body is safe.

Think of it like fighting a person with a sword and a shield. You know that all together you cannot overcome him. So you decide to feint (or fake an attack) at his sword arm. This causes him to raise his shield to deflect the incoming blow. Now that his guard is up, you can begin to hammer away at the shield, slowly lowering his durability. Eventually, he will become tired and lower the shield. This is where you strike the killing blow.

Cancer is the same way. It attacks the blood then goes for the defense. When the defense is low, it attacks the entire body, piece by piece. It slowly spreads through out the body and begins taking down whichever organ its designated to first.

So the cure that the scientists have found, is to use stem cells. Stem cells are cells waiting to become other cells. They can be any type of cell they are assigned to, whether it is a red blood cell, or an organ tissue, they can do it. Many grown men and women have stem cells, but not a lot. However, scientists realized that there was an organism containing a high amount of stem cell.

Human embryo.

They found that taking a vast amount of stem cells from an embryo, (which wouldn’t have a finished body system, so they are all stem cell) and injecting them into a cancer victim would cure the cancer. The science behind it would be that the stem cells would be commanded by the brain, and would take form into the organs that cancer has destroyed.

In order for this to work though, they would have to kill the unborn baby. By taking the stem cells, the embryo would have nothing to form, so it would die considering it has no organs to keep it alive. This is where the controversy is located. Should you take a young life to save yours? Or are you just being selfish, and should let the unborn child live his/her life?