My Health and I | Teen Ink

My Health and I

Diabetes is pretty cool (in a short run). There are many benefits to it such as: high blood sugars make me lose weight, so being a teenager, I use that to my advantage. Low blood sugars get me out of doing stuff, and yes, sometimes I do use it as an excuse. I know that by not controlling it, I am killing myself, but that's in a long run.. and let's face it, I'm a teen and I don't ponder my future. But honestly, why does it matter, I am one being in the world. I believe in natural selection, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for new advances in technology. And I don't like having to pay the government to keep myself alive, and it's worrisome, because they could always take it away.. Along with the Diabetes, I am cursed with another chronic illness, Cystic Fibrosis. This has been with me my whole life, and is the reason i was diagnosed with Diabetes at the age of 14. It's a lot to handle and accept, all of the medication and commitment to it, but what the hell, I have nothing better to live for. I have a tendency to skip my medications, I try to live in the moment, and they hold me back. Yes we will all die, some sooner than others, but how would you like to die? Slowly and in pain, with the knowing in the back of your mind that you are killing yourself and you won't live long anyways. It affects me, but when I'm at school or with my friends, I forget about everything that I normally stress over. And that is what makes me want to live in the moment and to enjoy the little things why I am here. Unfortunately my life is a lot different from other teens, but nobody realizes I have illnesses unless I tell them, so it makes me feel good knowing I don't look like some sicko! Well that's my story, and it may be meaningless to most, but the point is to enjoy life while you can, even if you don't have a lot of hope, let yourself go and let your friends always be there for you like you should be there for them.